Cubase and Drums

Sixpack324

I am toying with the idea of purchasing EZDrummer and using it with Cubase LE6 to create my drum tracks. I have tried to use HALion with no success whatsoever. No matter what I do, I can't open the drum editor. My experience with HALion is what is causing me to hesitate jumping into EZDrummer.

The method I use now, is to program my drums in Acoustica Beatcraft then, play the audio out of my laptop into Cubase. I REALLY like the ability to program the individual beats. (Actually......I would stick with Beatcraft if it's Hi-Hats didn't suck)

I can't seem to find a way to program individual beats in HALion and this has me wondering......Can I use Cubase to program beats in EZDrummer?

FWIW, I have ZERO experience using any program within a DAW to create drum tracks.

If you cant open your drum editor, then I doubt you will be able to "edit" EZdrummer. You will be stuck using their loops as is. You probably need to upgrade to a higher Cubase to use the Drum editor. I use EZdrummer in Cubase 7 with great results. People often cant tell if they are live or not, but I use the Drum editor which really helps me make original tracks. Good luck!

Midi--->open drum editor on your menu bar in cubase.

Yes cubase is really ez drummer friendly.

Toontrack has midi maps for cubase on their website. Just sign into your account and then hit the download button next to the my products button. Then go to the xtra downloads area click ez drummer file, then host stuff file, then cubase, then drum maps.

Download that and put it in a place that is easy to find. If you get that far, start a new thread and ask how to load them.

GUITARGODGT.........When I click on MIDI.....the Drum Editor tab in the drop down menu is grey, so I can't click on it. This is after creating an instrument track and loading the GM Drum Map and using Halion. I can get drum sounds to "play" by clicking on the keys on the virtual keyboard in Halion, but I can't open the Drum Editor, as indicated in the OP. According to the instruction manual, I should be able to, but it just won't open. I don't want to spend the money on EZDrummer if it's not going to work.

Try this:

After you open HalionOne on a track, use the pencil tool to draw an event in the Project Window. Now see if you can open the Drum Editor.

Alternately you can change the default in Preferences so that the Drum Editor opens just by double clicking the event.

Actually that's totally wierd. Have you tried the GM map to see if that works?

It's in the inspector tab of the instrument track where it says "no drum map" (no drum map is kind of dark colored). This is the same with midi tracks though (it's an option under both).

Are all the items grayed out or just the open drum editor under that list?

Download Reaper. (the 'demo' is fully functional)
See if it works there.

If it does, something is wrong with Cubase or its configuration
(you probably dont have the vst where it can find it)
If it doesn't work in Reaper then soemthing is wrong with the installation of Halion.

You have to diagnose these things, not just jump from program to program...

He doesn't even need to download reaper.

The reason everything is gray is because there is nothing to open.

He needs to take the pencil tool and draw in some blank midi data so he can open it in one of the editors.

Create instrument track, load VSTi, draw in blank midi data on track.

He doesn't even need to download reaper.

The reason everything is gray is because there is nothing to open.

He needs to take the pencil tool and draw in some blank midi data so he can open it in one of the editors.

Create instrument track, load VSTi, draw in blank midi data on track.

Yeah,that is what I said too. Not sure he understood. I just tried that myself, and yep. Nothing is there if nothing created to use an editor for.

OP, make your shizzle work by taking the steps to do so. It should be as easy as taking doing the steps previously stated.

Please be clear as to what you did or didn't do. Do you understand what was meant by 'drawing in' blank MIDI data?

I am not trying to be condescending, but this is either a big problem with your install, or you are just not yet understanding how Cubase works yet. Maybe some screen shots of what your Project Window looks like will help. :)

Sorry for taking so long to respond......Been REALLY busy.......

I got it to work......I opened an instrument track and drew with the pencil and I was off to the races.

Thanks to all for their help!!

You need to watch the tutorial included in CuBase. Go to the "Steinberg Hub". Look for the quick start button at the left top of the screen. Then watch the video "Basic Midi". It'll show you exactly how to work the drum editor.....No need to get anything else....

There is no 'Steinberg Hub' in Cubase 6. That is a C7 thing. And he hasn't been back to this thread in 6 months so I suppose he figured it all out. :)

Great advice tho if it were accurate to the OP's question!

Not being shitty, just watch out for what you are posting to. And welcome to the forum! :D

Apologizing in advance if I'm posting in wrong forum.

Can anyone help me get Addictive Drums or EzDrummer to work with Cubase 5.

I have installed these and now sure why Cubase is not uploading VST plug-in. Checked Program File\Common Files\VST2 as usual plug-in location.

It would be loaded as an Instrument Channel or the Instrument Rack (I think Cubase 5 had the Instrument Rack). Been a while.

Anyway, Project>Add Track>Instrument. Check the drop down list. Is it there?

Back