Crotch/heart mic? Who's using one?

JG96

So my band is looking for a more raw/holistic drum sound for our next album. And my thought is the Glyn John's technique on the drums along with a room mic and a crotch mic. However I am concerned about phase and placement. for those of you who use crotch mics where do you place them and how do you process them. Do you get any nasty comb filtering? If anyone has any sound clips including a crotch mic that would be awesome too. :D

Lol. Crotch mic? Sounds awesome! :D

For real though, I've never used one, but that sounds like a disaster. It would be all snare and kick. I like snare and kick, but that would be a lot of snare and kick.

I would probably use an omni and it would def be a lot of snare and kick. But I'm thinking it will give me some more of the beater side of the kick, bottom of the snare and some toms. It wouldn't be my only mic but It might add something to the sound.

I've used a low condenser behind me - I guess like an ass mic. It picked up a lot of low end, no pun intended.

I've never tried a crotch mic (although i can't stop tittering at the name :D) but i've tried Glyn Johns and Recorderman with a room mic and had good results. Why not just give it a shot and just move it around/flip the phase until you're happy with it?

I guess i'll experiment with a bunch of things. I'm just trying to get more of the rack tom without the ugly sound I get from gating the tom/ letting it bleed. Might try an ass mic too, though as of right now my drum has been using a wood chair as a throne. I hope he gets a new throne soon :spank:

174108d1274444286-help-how-record-drums-3-mics-crotch-2.jpg Heres a pic from gear slutz there I haven't seen any in action shots and for good reason!;)

Back