Cross Post -- DIY tube mic, basic design.

Blue Jinn

Rider of the ARPocalypse
This is an FYI.

finin_a.jpeg

finin_f.jpeg

If you are into DIY, it is a fairly basic circuit, ala RoyerMod, U47, etc. Needs a larger donor mic, which in this case was a broken MXL V89MBP. The battery powered MXL mics have a slightly larger body, and they seem to come up on Ebay frequently enough in non-working condition. If you consider about US$65-105 for a new capsule and about $40 for a mic body, and use the Royer voltage tripler the whole thing should run US$150-$200.00, depending on parts and parts suppliers, whether you need a cable, etc, and less if you use the stock capsule. You will also need a transformer, which can be in the US$40-75 range. You could go much higher on a capsule.

I used a double sided capsule and the battery switch for a cardioid/omni pattern, so you'd need a double sided capsule. The full build thread is in teh DIY forum.

Last edited:
I used a double sided capsule and the battery switch for a cardioid/omni pattern, so you'd need a double sided capsule. The full build thread is in teh DIY forum.

Thanks for sharing.
I put a 2 sided 47 style capsule in an old Rode recently. Initially I just wired it for cardioid because fitting a switch to the rode body seemed like unnecessary hassle, but then I remembered I had some reed switches from an other project.

I wired one of those inline with the capsule back signal and just mounted it so it'd be close to the casing surface.
Now if I pop a tiny magnet on the front of the mic body it's omni. :)

Thought I'd share. :p

Thanks for sharing.
I put a 2 sided 47 style capsule in an old Rode recently. Initially I just wired it for cardioid because fitting a switch to the rode body seemed like unnecessary hassle, but then I remembered I had some reed switches from an other project.
I wired one of those inline with the capsule back signal and just mounted it so it'd be close to the casing surface.
Now if I pop a tiny magnet on the front of the mic body it's omni. :)

Thought I'd share. :p

That is clever. How does it sound with the 47'sh capsule? FYI, I put a 47 style in this one.

That is clever. How does it sound with the 47'sh capsule?

For vocals I usually use mk219 (reed switch idea source) or dynamic mics, so the 47 capsule is definitely a positive move for my tastes.
I guess you know how the stock nt1a sounds? I'm finding it much more natural post-mod. :)

Back