Creative mixing tricks

sergi0arias

I was thinking about those times when you're mixing and you're asking yourself: How do I do this or that? how do i make this track shine? and then you get creative you say... "hey, what if I...?" and BAM you got it, just what you wanted, kind of unexpected. Those really make you feel proud sometimes even if they're not a big deal technically.

What was the last of these tricks you used?

I was thinking about those times when you're mixing and you're asking yourself: How do I do this or that? how do i make this track shine? and then you get creative you say... "hey, what if I...?" and BAM you got it, just what you wanted, kind of unexpected. Those really make you feel proud sometimes even if they're not a big deal technically.

What was the last of these tricks you used?

One thing I did recently in a rock mix, was to combine a hi-pass filter with a high Q bell on the kick drum's sub frequencies. The EQ curve looked really odd, but it was exactly what the mix needed. I did not expect that you could carve out a tight range of frequencies in the subs like that and end up with something that worked. :cool:

Back