Copyright for NFT

"You can use the same business entity (e.g. LLC) when registering as a publisher with ASCAP and BMI, but your affiliation name should be slightly different with each society. Acme Publishing LLC could become Acme A Publishing LLC and Acme B Publishing LLC, for instance. One extra letter is all you need to differentiate them.

For more information on personal publishing entities, check out our blog post here."
That's for when you're a publisher representing multiple artists who are affiliated with the different PROs

I'm looking at my (songwriter) agreement with BMI right now, and it says that all my songs - or shares of songs - have to be registered through them, and that no other PRO is to have claim on them. If they even suspect that ASCAP is paying me for one of my songs, they reserve the right to withhold payment until I prove they're not.

edit: I realized that saying all my songs have to be BMI and not ascap is misleading. I can split songwriting across the services if I wrote with an ASCAP-signed artist. So clarification there.

Last edited:
OK. So when I looked at joining ASCAP to register my songs, it was the publisher option that made the most sense to me, as it also gave me other protections such as composer and artist.

It would be smart to copyright your own songs before selling them on NFT. Because NFTs are basically data on a blockchain, they don’t meet the criteria for copyright protection. That’s why before selling art, many artists choose to mint it for protecting their ideas and concepts for their artwork. When selling an NFT, you are not transferring copyright to the buyer if you have the copyright to your own songs. If the artwork is not protected by copyright, it is considered “public domain” and you don’t own it. Before selling NFTs, I advise you to inform yourself about how to sell your art on websites like moonbitcoins.com.

Last edited:
Back