Cool edit 1.2 save as issue

dinosaur22

Hi yes I'm a dinosaur still using Cool Edit 1.2 but I love it and it keeps on plugging away for me. I have it on my desktop and laptop. For some reason, on the desktop the past couple of days, when I try to save as MP3 the resulting file is in a format nothing recognizes and it can't be opened. I've noticed in the drop down box that comes up from SAVE AS it reads MP3 (FhG)(*.7.*mp3). On the still working laptop version it comes up as MP3 (FhG)(*mp3). So it's the .7. that's causing the problem. Don't know how it got in there or how to get rid of it. Any suggestions very welcome.

Thanks
d22

Cool Edit

I use Cool Edit, and use Fraunhofer MPEG Layer-3 Audio Decoder to convert waves to mp3's. If you are not using Fraunhofer, it's a free down load. Drop it in system 32 folder and it works well with Cool Edit. The problem you are experiencing may be minor, but may take hours to solve. It may be easier and less time consuming to uninstall Cool Edit and re-install it. The old Cool Edit is still a great program.:D

Thanks for your advice. I'm not sure which MP3 decoder I'm using but it was an add on downloaded from the old Syntrillium site years ago and I'm guessing the FHF in the file type stands for Fraunhofer. I think I still have that patch somewhere so I'll try to reinstall, and then maybe reinstall the lot. CEP 1.2 is a great program! Thanks for your help.

Cheers

I have vague memories of a problem like this previously when I accidentally saved something with a . in the name causing Audition to think that was the file extension you wanted.

I've been searching some old posts in an Audition related forum but think the solution was as simple as retyping the offered file extension when saving the next time so Audition reverts back to just calling them .mp3. You can also fix previously saved files by re-naming without the extra full stop.

Memory is a bit hazy and I no longer have older version of Cool Edit/Audition anywhere but it might be worth having a play in this sort of direction.

Bob

Back