Control Surface/Input/External Device Best Suited for Cubase?

johnhalbert

Hi All,

I've finally shelled out for Cubase & have been getting pretty comfortable with the software, but I'm at a crossroads as to what hardware to buy that's best suited for working with the program.

Just to give you an idea about the computer I'm using right now -

Dell Inspiron 17R (17R-3530DBK)

Processor Name Intel Core i7-2630QM
Operating System Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium
Processor Speed 2 GHz (quad core)
RAM 8 GB

I've used Cubase in the past with a Lexicon Lambda, but either because of the computer or the interface I had horrible latency problems that made it too difficult for me to get any type of decent recording (actually, part of my problem I know now is that I didn't know how to use the software properly as well...).

I was hoping you guys could point me in the right direction for what type of hardware to purchase to use with Cubase, as well as demystify some of the questions that I've never been able to answer.

In specific, are there any external devices that will help reduce/solve latency problems, or is that all dependent on the computer itself?

I'm really hoping to cut down on cost of hardware as much as I can, but from what I can tell working with the software for the past month is that I need a solution with both a keyboard plus instrument (terminology? 1/4" input for guitars/other instruments) and xlr inputs that will work with my laptop. I haven't seen an all-in-one solution, most reviews seem to point out flaws in each device that makes me think that I may need to spend to get an input device, a controller and a keyboard separately. Is this the only way to get good performance out of my setup?

Sorry if this has been answered before, but I've been searching for a while now & haven't found the answer to my question.

Thanks in advance!
John

In specific, are there any external devices that will help reduce/solve latency problems, or is that all dependent on the computer itself?

Pretty much all audio interfaces, including the Lambda, have some provision for low- or zero-latency monitoring. You just need to learn how to use it. Some two-channel units have a simple knob that balances between the inputs and what the software is playing. The rest of them have a control panel for the input monitoring DSP. In both cases the computer itself has little or nothing to do with it.

Another approach is to use a big analog mixer with nice preamps (or outboard ones) and lots of auxiliary sends as the front end. This is a good way to record larger groups playing live.

Back