Connecting Guitar Effects Rack Unit

muddbuttmoz

Hi everyone so I have a Tascam 244 and a Alesis MicroVerb 4 Effects Rack Unit and I was wondering how I could plug my guitar into the Alesis and the Alesis into the Tascam. I tried plugging it in the way you would on an amp but it didn’t work. Any help on plugging in signal processors is appreciated!

The connections are pretty straight forward. Plug guitar into Alesis Left Input. Alesis Left Output to 244 Mic/Line Input. The rest is just flipping switches to get the signal through. Can you run the guitar through the Alesis into an amp to see if the Alesis is working ok by itself?

Is your guitar active or passive pickups?

The Alesis is only designed to handle line level inputs and outputs. Usually a guitar with an active preamp can interface line level inputs, but if it’s passive it needs a Hi-Z instrument preamp input. So you have to have an instrument preamp ahead of the guitar.

Alternatively, why don’t you Plug the guitar into a 244 input, remove the SEND/RCV jumper, connect the SEND jack on the 244 to the input of the Alesis, and connect the output of the Alesis to the RCV jack on the 244? This will use the preamp in the 244 to level-match your guitar (the preamps on the 244 are versatile and can handle instrument, mic and line level signals)…and then the preamplified signal, now at line level, goes out to and comes back from the Alesis via the SEND/RCV loop; essentially the same thing you are trying to do, only using the 244 as designed/intended.

The connections are pretty straight forward. Plug guitar into Alesis Left Input. Alesis Left Output to 244 Mic/Line Input. The rest is just flipping switches to get the signal through. Can you run the guitar through the Alesis into an amp to see if the Alesis is working ok by itself?
Yea I just used my Alexis today and it does in fact work on its own. Do you have any steps in which switches I should flip? I am going to try later today to figure it out but any help would do!

Yea I just used my Alexis today and it does in fact work on its own. Do you have any steps in which switches I should flip? I am going to try later today to figure it out but any help would do!
I would only be repeating the manual to you. Recording The First Track on Page 36 is unusually detailed in the procedure - I wish all user manuals were this detailed.

The only thing I would add is the manual suggests plugging your guitar into Mic/Line Input #4 and using the #4 section on the mixer. That's fine, but you can use any Input (1-4) and it's corresponding mixer section.

Is your guitar active or passive pickups?

The Alesis is only designed to handle line level inputs and outputs. Usually a guitar with an active preamp can interface line level inputs, but if it’s passive it needs a Hi-Z instrument preamp input. So you have to have an instrument preamp ahead of the guitar.

Alternatively, why don’t you Plug the guitar into a 244 input, remove the SEND/RCV jumper, connect the SEND jack on the 244 to the input of the Alesis, and connect the output of the Alesis to the RCV jack on the 244? This will use the preamp in the 244 to level-match your guitar (the preamps on the 244 are versatile and can handle instrument, mic and line level signals)…and then the preamplified signal, now at line level, goes out to and comes back from the Alesis via the SEND/RCV loop; essentially the same thing you are trying to do, only using the 244 as designed/intended.
Both of my guitars are passive pickups. I’ll try your method later on, do you know what cable I need to connect the Alexis to SEND/RCV? Sorry for a lot of questions haha I’m new to all this analog stuff but I’m super hyped to learn and use it more!

Both of my guitars are passive pickups. I’ll try your method later on, do you know what cable I need to connect the Alexis to SEND/RCV? Sorry for a lot of questions haha I’m new to all this analog stuff but I’m super hyped to learn and use it more!
RCA to 1/4” TS cables.

Back