Compression on Vocals

andrushkiwt

I am usually editing/copying/pasting from 6-7 vocal takes and, occasionally, my position changes or I sing slightly louder/quieter in one phrase than the previous/next line of a separate take. When I select the "best takes" of each lines (yes, all the way down to lines for me, not whole takes) the volume changes slightly from one line to the next. (I am not touching the gain). I have received a ton of positive comments on the vocal quality of my tracks, but I am really struggling to understand what i am actually doing sometimes.

I use multiple compressors on the vocals but I have a tough time with their settings. My vocal tracks will typically run through this buss chain, in order: EQ, de-ess, comp, verb, delay, comp. Then, I have a "send" compressor that I link some vocal tracks to. That's 3 compressors not including the de-ess. The problem is that I am STILL having to do a ton of manual volume editing and some words pop out too much. I am guessing that my compressor settings are not optimal.

I usually have the first comp at 4:1 with a very low threshold (-30) and keep the gain knob on the compressor at "auto". Should I turn any and all gain adjustments to 0? The second compressor is usually 6:1 with a slightly higher threshold (-25) and the "send" compressor is about 2:1 with a higher threshold.

Help me out here. I love the flavor and sound I get from these compressors, but help me get the balance right in settings so that I don't have to rely on editing volumes by hand so much.

let me know if i left anything out that's relevant. thnx

It wasn't necessarily to move it.
Use gain or clip automation before going into the compressor to do most of the bigger leveling.
The compress has a more consistent track to respond to, has less 'fixing to do with it's static setting', and it can sound more natural.
"first comp at 4:1 with a very low threshold (-30) and keep the gain knob on the compressor at "auto"
I could see if you're having to use that much where it'd be trouble. Comps aren't especially good at that kind of fixing'.
Also, generally 'auto make ups are typically sort of sucky as well.

Last edited:
Use gain or clip automation before going into the compressor to do most of the bigger leveling..

I haven't messed with the automation on this DAW yet - I usually manually move the volume of each "section" accordingly, after compression. So, you are suggesting to FIRST use the volume editing and THEN use the compression? Sometimes the problem is so easy to solve I don't even see the answer is right in front of my face. That's a good idea. thanks a ton

Did anything about the settings or number of compressors being used stand out as odd/not right?

I've recently tried using parallel compression on my vocals an it seems to work well with my voice.

Track 1 - de-esser, then minor compression using a CA2A
Track 2 - de-esser, a couple of compressors set to -18db 4:1 , then a CA2A again low compression

Balance the faders on both to get a blend I like where the level is consistent. Usually the comped track is quite a bit lower.
Fader Automation on both once levels are found, usually similar envelopes.

When the first track drops the second track compensates by holding the optimal level.

Vocal Bus - send the two tracks there with another CA2A and bus send to reverb and output to master.

Back