Comparing Stand alones

Laura C

Okay. After gleaning a moderate amount of wisdom from this forum and applying it to my situation, I think I've decided that it's best for me to start with a stand alone. I understand the sentiment that one could build a more versatile and potentially powerful home studio by combining different components with the computer. I also hear those who reason that if you're gonna spend, say, $500, spend it on equipment that is more easily upgradable and theoretically versatile. But I have NEVER recorded at home on anything but a TASACAM 4 track, and the learning curve for me will be high, high, high. At this particular juncture of my creative journey, I would rather spend the small amount of time that I have writing and performing than researching, trying to install and troubleshooting a recording system on my computer. The only reasons I want to record at home are 1) To have a tool that will broaden my options during the creative process (i.e. drum machine, layered harmonies, etc..) 2) to demo and archive my songs 3) to be able to lay down and burn a work disc to give other musicians for upcoming gigs.

THAT SAID (not that anyone really cares, but I thought I'd throw out my thought process since several kind folks have helped me think through it) I am now at the place of deciding which stand alone is best for me. I've heard good things about the Fostex MR 8, and talked at length today with someone about the Boss BR-532 & the 864. I also was encouraged to check out Zoom multi-track recorders, but didn't find much conversation about Zoom products here. (Maybe I'm not looking in the right place.) I've surfed the Internet quite a bit but have not found any literature or comparison chart that might give me an idea how to assess which is the best choice for me. I would like to have 8 tracks (but might settle for 4); effects and even built-in drum loops would be nice (not just the potential to create my own loops); USB port and ease of transferring data to my computer is important. And then of course A/C adapter (I read about one unit that didn't have one!) What other specs will help me compare apples to apples regarding the quality and price of an inexpensive/moderate digital multi-track recorder?

Any opinions on which brands tend to be higher quality, more user friendly, or more reliable? Any opinions on brands -- other than those listed above -- to consider? I want to stay at or around $500, and obviously to get as much value as I can for the buck.

Laura C,
Understood that you would like to stay in the $500 range, but,
if you could go a bit higher (double), you should check out the
Yamaha AW16G. I have one. Love it.
Unfortunately, the AW16G forum has been down for the past
few days, so I can't link you.
Do a search here for Yamaha AW16G. You'll find some interest
in it. I even recognized a few familiar names associated with
AW16G forum.
Check it out. There is a learning curve, but everything has a
learning curve.

60's

Thanks for the recommendations. I'll put them on my second tier list... I bought an MR8 about an hour ago and am confident that it will keep me occupied for awhile!

Peace.
LC

Laura C said:
Thanks for the recommendations. I'll put them on my second tier list... I bought an MR8 about an hour ago and am confident that it will keep me occupied for awhile!

Peace.
LC

You'll need to start hanging out in the MR-8 Forum which is located here.

Laura C,
Congrats on making a decision. Hope it works fine for you.

Laura C said:
Thanks for the info and encouragement. Yes, I'm sure I'll be lurking in the Fostex forum a lot now...

Ok,so you already know it as the "Fostex" forum?LOL.I called it the MR-8 forum as a little inside joke since 99% of the posters in that forum own the little red box.:D

Back