Cockle Doodle Dandy

Matcham

This is an original song. The aim for the mix was to give it an old-timey flavour using contemporary techniques to give the song greater impact. Comments most welcome. The song was mixed in Logic Pro using Waves Manny Marroquin plugins and Ozone on the stereo output. It was a lot of fun to write and produce - I hope it shows!

https://soundcloud.com/matcham-caine/cockle-doodle-dandy

Cheers,

Matcham

Matcham,
I'm using headphones and the song seems to lean a little to the banjo side.
The solo fade ins are a little long.
I haven't had a yabbie in yonks.
I enjoyed the song & the lyrics, as usual, have a cool parochial touch or two.
My only crit apart from the fade ins would be that there are too many instrumental sections and not enough of your voice and words.
Regardless - I enjoyed it as is.

---------- Update ----------

Matcham,
I'm using headphones and the song seems to lean a little to the banjo side.
The solo fade ins are a little long.
I haven't had a yabbie in yonks.
I enjoyed the song & the lyrics, as usual, have a cool parochial touch or two.
My only crit apart from the fade ins would be that there are too many instrumental sections and not enough of your voice and words.
Regardless - I enjoyed it as is.

Cheers as always Ray. The slow solo fade-ins I'm trying to channel the walk-ins to the central ribbon mic. Might have overdone it. Yeah been a while for me too gorging on a yabbie. 'Bout time they got the yuppie restaurant treatment, I reckon (freshwater lobsters to the uninitiated).

I don't know the specifics of mixing this specific genre particularly well, but it does sound pretty coherent and clear.

There's some timing disconnect between the two vocal parts, but I suspect that's intentional?

Thanks for your comments, Steve. There are actually four vocal parts in total - lead, double and two harmonies - tho they come in at different places. They are all from separate takes and the idea was to replicate the effect of the band joining in 'live'. That's why I wasn't bothered with smoothing BG vocals in the usual way. So yeah, intentional.

Back