chorus pedal

ollie99

I'm not sure if I am going to get a chorus pedal yet but if I do does anyone have any pedals they recommend? Price can be about £120

There was a site, BossArea.com, that had a lot of info. on Boss pedals, but it appears to be down now. You should find Boss CE-3 on Ebay easily.

oh right it's been discontinued (I presume) which is why I couldn't find it new anywhere, but idk I like the look of the ce-5. seems very similar just slightly more modern and of course I will be able to get it new. And I like the look of the of the filter which the ce-3 doesn't have and the ch-1 does have but with a more limited control. Reckon I should go for it?

The CE-2 is analog. The CE-5 is digital. It has a cleaner sound, and I think it has more effects. If I remember correctly, the CE-3 was originally analog and redesigned as a digital circuit at some point.

The CE-2 is analog. The CE-5 is digital. It has a cleaner sound, and I think it has more effects. If I remember correctly, the CE-3 was originally analog and redesigned as a digital circuit at some point.

ooo, so the ce-5 would be a good buy yes?

I'm kinda new to effects, but I went looking for a chorus recently, even though I don't really like chorus. I started with the CE-5, but it sucked tone in my setup, so I tried the eh clone theory stereo, which sounded thin and harsh to me, and now I'm (not often) using the tcelectronic corona.

Those are the only three I tried, and I've learned that effects are highly dependent on the chain they're in (especially pickups and amp), so take that for what it's worth

I don't think I'd started shaving when I bought this but if you can find one I'd recommend it, the stereo out actually works. I often used it to run two amps. The tone is excellent for what it is.
Chorus.jpg

Tim

I always thought for bread and butter FX, Boss was at the top of the heap. Certainly in their guitar processors (GT-100)... the FX are much better than other companies like Line6. Unless you're getting a boutique pedal or a complete tone-snob, the Boss stuff should be OK. Otherwise you'll need to do your homework and play lots and lots of different pedals and see what makes you a national rock star.

can anyone explain why I should avoid boss?

I mighta been a little over dramatic there but Boss stuff is hit or miss, like most brands at that level. I had a Stereo Chorus of theirs I wasn't crazy about a long time ago.... And some of their stuff just sounds chintzy and thin- DS1 and the Blues Driver come to mind. Their reverbs are kind of digital and unnatural sounding too. Had a Flanger of theirs that wasn't that great either, not sure if it was the coveted "pink label", probably not. That said, they've got a few good ones. I like their yellow bass overdrive alot, and I have a TR-2 Tremolo that's pretty good, if a little noisy. Their delays are not bad either.

What you definitely should avoid, though, is any DOD pedal with those pad switches that always break.

Last edited:
Back