Change bass livs from mighty mites to EMGs?

Hello,

This might sound like a stupor question but then I'm more of a carpenter then an electrician. Would it be possible to buy a cort punisher bass with mighty mites passive mics and replacing them with active EMGs?
Will a 9v battery fit inside somewhere (or should a new hole need to be drilled) or is it better to go with an external preamp?

I just wanna know if it can be done/is possible

Any work would in that case be handed over to the local music stores own service technician in that case - in other words i would not do it myself.

short answer is yes, it can be done ..... prolly fairly easily although they're not mics ..... they're pickups.
Also it should be easy for a tech to find a spot for the battery and lastly ..... while I'm sure it's possible because almost anything you can think of is done by someone, I've never heard of using an external pre-amp to power active pickups plus the circuitry (including the preamps) for the pickups has to be onboard so you can have tone controls and volume controls on your bass.

You tech will have to be decent as he's gonna have to find room for the pre-amp circuitry in there but it should pose no problem for a competent guitar tech

Thanks for your answer and sorry for my bad choice of words, it could have something to do with it beeing about 3 a clock at night when I wrote my question... ;)

Yes my concern is exactly that, would there be space enough for the battery and new electronics inside the bass body. I like the smaller size of the punisher-2 bass and the shape.

And I believe that the punisher-2 bass would be able to handle most radiopop/mainstream rock styles, and I intend to use it more or less only for simpler bass lines in my home studio. That said, i guess both the original and EMG pickups would do, but I will make sure that it is possible to upgrade in the future if I would like to...

I have fitted a few active sets in bass guitars in recent times and it is entirely possible even with limited space. You will need to check a few things. The overall thickness must be able to accommodate the battery box. The same is true of the pots you choose as many are stacked and have a pcb attached. I would suggest that the tech needs needs to be pretty competent and you may be better looking for a luthier/guitar repairer to get the job assessed and completed.

To give you an idea of the size of the cutout and depth of the pots in relation to the guitar here are a few pics. The first is on a custom 5 string I did a while back and the second is on a small headless hohner. The third is the minimum route size you will need and it's tight in there..

active 1.jpg

active 3.jpg

active 2.jpg

The EMG PJ bass set that I installed didn't have an extra circuit board or anything. Just the two pickups, volume and tone pot, and the battery clip. You should have no problem having enough room for the battery in that bass, as it has a large cavity.

You know that Cort stopped making all the Gene Simmons basses? I have the Axe bass.

Thanks for all help! From what you say it should not be that hard to turn it from a passive bas to an active bas if i decied to. Yes I know they stopped making them but I know a music store chain (key music - i believe they are called - got their webpage bookmarked in my computer), and they still have 5-10 of them in their stores in Holland and belgium and for the lowest price I've found all over europe, about 300-325 euros.

You who own the axe version, how do you rate the original sound with the mighty mite?

The p bass pickup sounds pretty much like a p bass. The jazz bass pickup is kind of useless because it is placed way too close to the bridge, so it is really thin sounding. But I think that has more to do with placement than the quality of the pickup.

Using a distorted bass setting in waves GTR, I was able to match the bass sound of Detroit Rock City.... Most of the time, I just use the p bass pickup and it does a good job.

Back