Capturing GoPro video and quality audio at the same time?

Sammigz

I am recording video of me playing my new acoustic guitar with my GoPro Hero3. But of course the audio is very low quality. I've seen many youtube videos of people playing with GREAT audio. How do they do this?
I do have a lot of recording equipment... https://www.facebook.com/MontageAudio - that is a link to my studio page. There's a note in there with a full list of gear.
If anyone can give me some advice on how to capture good audio at the same time of video, that'd be awesome.
Thanks in advance!!

Really?

Set up for a guitar recording using lots of your studio equipment. Set the audio recording. Set the video recording. Make a loud, percussive sound (clap board?). Do your thing. Stop the audio recording. Stop the video recording.

Then when it comes to post production, line up the audio/video from the gopro with the audio from your mics using the percussive sound as a reference (should show as a large spike in the waveforms).

Or something.

Yeah, that's it. ^

Treat them as two separate tasks and sync later.
Capture your pro-audio as you would in any other recording session and leave the go pro, and any other cameras you have, recording too.
Bring the final audio bounce and the video feeds into your editing software, sync them up, mute (or delete) the video camera audio, then start editing. :)

As said, it's useful to have a loud percussive reference for syncing.

Yea ya know I tried that this weekend. But it was still really hard to line up. Maybe because I'm using the GoPro software to do the editing and it's not the best. But it also almost seemed to me like other people on Youtube were capturing the audio/video at the same time on the same device. Maybe I have to work on my editing skills a little to get it lined up better... Might just be overthinking this too.

Is there no plug on the gopro for an external mic?

The GoPro software isn't the greatest (from experience), but it can do the job. The other alternative is to try and hit record for the audio and video at the same time, which is far from an accurate science.

Edit: I just looked and they sell adapters for go-pro mics, providing you can use a 3.5mm jack for your mic. Not quite 'pro' audio though Rode seem to make some which might sound alright. Rather defeats the point of having a studio though...

Is there no plug on the gopro for an external mic?

The GoPro software isn't the greatest (from experience), but it can do the job. The other alternative is to try and hit record for the audio and video at the same time, which is far from an accurate science.

Edit: I just looked and they sell adapters for go-pro mics, providing you can use a 3.5mm jack for your mic. Not quite 'pro' audio though Rode seem to make some which might sound alright. Rather defeats the point of having a studio though...

Yea that was my thinking... I have a Neumann TLM-103 that I want to use for the audio. I thought I could go with the adapter to a zoom H4 and plug the Neumann into that. I figure the GoPro would then be using the Neumann as it's mic [not too sure the zoom provides phantom power though]. I'm going to play around with it more tonight. Maybe try again to record them separately and just get the clap lined up exact.

Oh, sorry. I didn't realise you don't have a dedicated recording setup.
The H4 has XLR inputs with phantom power so just use an XLR m-f cable just you would with an interface.
I only had a quick look on google, though....I'm not familiar with the specific model.

I wouldn't try to connect the neumann to the go pro or anything like that. Use the H4 purely for the audio.

Yea ya know I tried that this weekend. But it was still really hard to line up. Maybe because I'm using the GoPro software to do the editing and it's not the best. But it also almost seemed to me like other people on Youtube were capturing the audio/video at the same time on the same device. Maybe I have to work on my editing skills a little to get it lined up better... Might just be overthinking this too.

It's entirely possible to run into issues with vr. content and a mix/match of sample rates.
I don't know that much about it but I do know I recently had to convert some video footage to constant bit rate in order to get it to play nice with some recorded audio.
I was using adobe premiere elements. It seems to suck...I duno.

Any way, that's the benefit of a clear cut handclap or clap board.
If you know for certain that the video and audio are synced at the point yet the rest isn't playing nice, there's a problem to investigate.

You don't even need an audio spike, just use the waveforms. Line them up by eye, put headphones on, pan them apart and use precedence effect to get them exact. Mute the GoPro audio, set pan of the good audio back to center. Once the audio is lined up perfectly I find it's often necessary to shift the it a few frames from the video to make it perfect.

Back