Cancelled Recordings

rob aylestone

We don't really have a section for recording business, although maybe permissions is a 'technique'.
I was looking forward to being able to record a rather nice choir. The promoter is an old friend (actually my school headmistress) who likes to promote traditional music to new listeners. She'd managed to get a decent choir and the funding from our local authority to make ticket price variable - as in pay what you think it was worth. The funding covered the choir, the venue, travel accommodation and the recording - as in me.

We've had a few planning meetings and we extended it to be video and audio. I contacted the choir's leader to talk about mic placements and other things and the recording was totally news to him. He'd never asked for a recording, and the experimental nature of it meant he did not want it recorded under any circumstances. I've cancelled the guy I use to assist me, and scrapped the entire thing. A great shame, I was looking forward to it, and had all sorts of things planned. In all the years I've been doing it, never had a cancellation of this kind. I'm at a bit of a loss to imagine how the promoter and the performers never even mentioned this to each other. I'm not a great contract person. I rarely do formal contracts, it's always just conversations and emails with details.

Do any of you out there do proper contracts for the type of stuff you do? I've always found it awkward. I know perhaps I should, but I've never been let down before.

Conversations and emails is likewise my stock in trade. I've not had an experience like yours, though I have had quite a few preli,imary discussions that have never materialised into anything.

Ack sounds like you missed out on a nice lil project there... I've had to sign a contract as a freelancer once, the obvious benefit is that once it's signed you (generally) won't get any last minute changes. The way people don't read email thoroughly and downplay agreements as "verbal agreement" / "we were just talking", I'd say a contract is a no-brainer, especially for a serious gig like what you described.

Back