Can I sing? What do you think about my voice?

Your voice sounds nice on "Let It Go," although you sang it in a different key than James Bay did. You may be able to your improve your pitch if you listen and sing along to vinyl records instead of MP3s. Sounds like an absurd idea, but that's what worked for me. Another thing I've learned is to not try to sing songs by singers who have a different vocal range than mine. For example, I could probably do a decent Dave Gahan, but I'd be shite out of luck if I wanted to do Steve Perry.

but I'd be shite out of luck if I wanted to do Steve Perry.

Couldn't you just sing it lower?

OP, your tone is the biggest problem. It's not a rich, pure, or interesting/character tone. I think you need one of those three, unfortunately, to carry a tune. Work on it though and see where things go. Singing is good for the soul either way.

Couldn't you just sing it lower?

I suppose I could, but it wouldn't sound right. I'll leave the Perry impersonation to Arnel, since he's better at it than I am. :D

OP, your tone is the biggest problem. It's not a rich, pure, or interesting/character tone. I think you need one of those three, unfortunately, to carry a tune. Work on it though and see where things go. Singing is good for the soul either way.

I think his brogue is interesting, but you're right, his tone on the other song is lacking in clarity.

Zach, try working on your enunciation. You have a nice voice, you just need to train it. Relax your throat muscles a bit, and let the air flow. If you're serious about singing as a career, it may be worthwhile to hire a vocal coach. Or sing along with records over and over until you work it out on your on. I think your original song will sound better once you put some instruments to it. There's no sense of timing there, which makes it sound hurried. Singing with a band will help you pace it better.

Thanks for the feedback, I'll work on my enunciation! I'll keep at it and post my progress (if any haha) but thanks for the honesty! Diggy dude what is brogue? And interesting in what way? Sorry I'm a complete beginner and don't know any terms or whatever haha!

Z

Lessons are good to learn technique and what not, learn about breathing and stuff. It takes time to find your voice. I like to use a piano a pitch reference for singing. Good luck. :)

Zach,

Some people are naturally gifted singers and others have to work very hard to train their voice. Even the best of singers have vocal coaches, and that's where I would start if I were you. If you have a college around you, try and get in touch with the music dept and see if there are any students who are either looking to train individuals for some extra cash or need to find people to train for their graduation requirements.

One thing to keep in mind as well is the connection to the song that you're singing. Are there emotions/story lines within the song that you vibe with, and if so, think about the song lyrics for a while to really understand what the message or tone of the song is. This should translate into your voice when you go to sing/record.

Back