Can I plug a rack preamp into Focusrite interface?

Unclejohnny

I use a Focusrite Scarlett 21-2 interface. Just ordered an ART Pro MPA ll because I understand my Focusrite won't deliver enough gain for the RE20 that I also have on order. Please tell me if I'll be able to use the Focusrite as an interface with the ART Pro and if so, how should I set the Focusrite's gain knob.

I'd vote for taking a TRS to TRS cable and connecting your balanced out on the ART to the input of the Scarlett, making sure the switch is set to line rather than instrument, and have the gain turned to zero.

I agree with Armistice.
In my experience with Focusrite interfaces (Saffire 56, Saffire 6 usb, Saffire 24 pro, Saffire LE - yes I like Focusrite :D) you can't bypass the preamps. Usually I run 1khz line level sine or pink noise thru the preamp (in your case MPA 2, but don't plug the line level signal straight into intrument or input - use di box.) - set the maximum levels just before clipping and then set the gain on interface. With this process I'll make sure the circuit will never-ever clip.

Hi there,

You should have no problems doing this - ie. just take the balanced line outputs from your preamp and plug it into the preamps of the 2i2. Ensure the LINE/INST switches are set to LINE on the 2i2.

Ensure the gain halos on the 2i2 don't turn red when monitoring into your 2i2 - you shouldn't need to go past around 12/1 o clock gain settings to get a reasonable level into the 2i2. Obviously, this depends on your specific input etc.

I hope this helps! If you have any further questions, drop supportteam@focusrite.com an email.

Dan

Hi there,

You should have no problems doing this - ie. just take the balanced line outputs from your preamp and plug it into the preamps of the 2i2. Ensure the LINE/INST switches are set to LINE on the 2i2.

Ensure the gain halos on the 2i2 don't turn red when monitoring into your 2i2 - you shouldn't need to go past around 12/1 o clock gain settings to get a reasonable level into the 2i2. Obviously, this depends on your specific input etc.

I hope this helps! If you have any further questions, drop supportteam@focusrite.com an email.

Dan

I have a question Dan... why did you bother to register for this forum to answer a question that's over two years old?

I have a question Dan... why did you bother to register for this forum to answer a question that's over two years old?

@ Dan_Focusrite:

Would be nice to have a direct rep from FR or any manufacturer that gives direct support on HR. Also likely better if the comments were made on threads that are not dead though...

Possibly a Google search find. It happens.

Welcome to the site! :D

Back