Can anyone recommend a travel guitar for around $200?

carsoste

Hi:
I might be going to Europe soon and will be going to several different countries over a two week span and I was thinking about buying a travel guitar for the trip. I've looked at the Martin backpacker and the Wahburn Rover, but I was just wondering if anyone might know of another travel guitar in the same price range that I should take a look at. If not, has anyone played or traveled with any of the guitars that I mentioned? What was your experience with it? What were the positives and negatives?
If someone out there could please offer any suggestions you might have, I would be greatful.
Thanks.

Hi:
I might be going to Europe soon and will be going to several different countries over a two week span and I was thinking about buying a travel guitar for the trip. I've looked at the Martin backpacker and the Wahburn Rover, but I was just wondering if anyone might know of another travel guitar in the same price range that I should take a look at. If not, has anyone played or traveled with any of the guitars that I mentioned? What was your experience with it? What were the positives and negatives?
If someone out there could please offer any suggestions you might have, I would be greatful.
Thanks.

Get a ukulele.

I had a Recording King parlor size for a while. It was a nice little guitar for the money.

Hi:
Thanks.

If you just want something for banging out ideas and aren't looking to wow anyone with build quality, anything will do.

My travel guitar is a parlor-size Squier acoustic. It's most likely plastic, cost around $70 new, and plays just fine for a POS. I throw it in the trunk, take it camping, and let my 2 year old bash it around. If it ever breaks I'll just buy a new one.

I've heard nothing good about any 'travel size' guitar's sound. Buy a cheap small guitar when you get to Europe, so you only need to worry about getting it back home on your way back.

Yeah, you didn't mention what you wanted it for. Is it just something to play with, or are you planning on busking? Gonna play some of your tunes for small groups of friends, or campfire-type singalongs? Jamming with other locals? What's the plan, Stan?

I own a Backpacker, and have experience with other smaller, travel-sized guitars, even if not so-named. My impressions:

Backpacker is not a tone machine buy any means, but with the strap it is easy enough to handle. Pull the strap tighter than you might, just a little. They are made by Backpacker guitars and licensed to Martin, so you only get a one-year warranty. Buy a used one for $100 or so.

Martin introduced a smaller body guitar, under market pressure from Taylor's Baby. I traded a bass for one and gave it to my then-girlfriend who always wanted a Martin. Tone is a bit better than the BP, but nothing great.

I've had a couple of thin-body acoustics (both lefty) and after playing them for a while, concluded they sound only a little better than the BP and are much bigger- sold 'em and never looked back.

I even had an old Synsonics self-amped electric (the one with the speaker and amplifier built into the body of the guitar) that I kept behind the seat of my truck.

But I keep coming back to the Backpacker. personally, I find it's limitations- hard to hold (like most women I have know) and a voice that less than totally pleasing (also like many women...) a good trade off for it's portability. I rarely bring it to jams, but when space is tight, it balances better atop a backpack or a stack of bags on back of my motorcycle or bicycle better than almost anything else with 6 strings.

What about the fold-up guitars that are hinged where the neck meets the body? I've seen a few of those around in the stores and online but I haven't played one. If the concept actually works, it would be a cool way to get a full-sized guitar into a backpack-sized case for travel.

Just a sideways comment - if you decide to fly with Easyjet, on their website there are details about the size of guitar cases that they will allow you to take as cabin baggage. This looks very good, BUT, when you arrive, show them the printed out webpage, they shrug and stick it in the hold despite you arguing this is unfair. So the travel guitar might still be rejected as not suitable for the cabin.

stevieb

Two quick thoughts:

The only time I was ever actually 'in' Marietta, we got hit by a drunk driver who was leaving a liquor store after having just been released from jail an hour beforehand.

I just noticed your sig. I don't very often find people whose humor I appreciate. Consider yourself appreciated.

Just a sideways comment - if you decide to fly with Easyjet, on their website there are details about the size of guitar cases that they will allow you to take as cabin baggage. This looks very good, BUT, when you arrive, show them the printed out webpage, they shrug and stick it in the hold despite you arguing this is unfair. So the travel guitar might still be rejected as not suitable for the cabin.

EasyjJet just aint worth the hassle.

When I traveled I took a parlor sized guitar that I made with me. It made it round the world twice and it still hangs on the wall now.

Where I live I know quite a few of the Stansted baggage handlers and they are remarkably good when it comes to handling obviously fragile items. Ditto the rest of the world. I have seen this guitar on the runway and watched as bags were chucked on planes and my guitar hand boarded last, that was in central America. In South East Asia it was invariably brought round by hand rather than carousel, a nice touch. Sure I have seen the damage air traffic can do to instruments but at 200 quid I'd just check it and trust it. This was all pre 9/11 though and I'd never stow a guitar of real value in the hold without proper casing but a beater, no problem..

Two quick thoughts:

The only time I was ever actually 'in' Marietta, we got hit by a drunk driver who was leaving a liquor store after having just been released from jail an hour beforehand.

I just noticed your sig. I don't very often find people whose humor I appreciate. Consider yourself appreciated.

It was even funnier when I WAS a mod here.

Back