Can anyone help me with my M-Audio Solo Latency Issues?

helpme101

I bought the M-Audio Solo about 10 years ago. It worked flawlessly on my old Dell XP computer. Since then I've had latency issues off and on.....
In the last year I upgraded to a Windows 7 machine.... Latency is pretty horrible.

Things I've tried.
Turned audio off in the bios.
Bought external Firewire card.
Turned the M-Audio to the lowest setting.

I've found a way to fix it, but it's not pleasant.
If I go into settings in Adobe Audition and change all of the settings to 0 there is no latency for 1 line of recording.
Once I record a new line it goes back to messed up latency..... Is there a way I can get the numbers to stay at 0? They go back to 50, 50.
Can anyone think of things I can try? I used to really like recording music, but these issues have kept me from doing much over the past several years.

I have an i7 processor, 8 gigs of ram so I don't think it's a speed issue.....

Thanks

Take these steps HERE then come back.

Also check the M-Audio website for driver for your interface and Windows 7. HERE

Wow, that's a really good optimization guide. I'll bookmark that for later use if I run into troubles, especially disabling the USB power saving features.

But really, an i7 processor should be more than capable of doing all of your audio work several times over, even with CPU power saving features enabled. Mine doesn't even break a sweat on my larger projects running multiple reverbs, master bus VSTs, a couple VSTi's, and 20-25 audio and MIDI tracks. It seriously barely uses 2 or 3 percent of the processor's time. And it's a Haswell i7 with all of the low-power state options enabled.

I did learn in the last several days about the absolutely horrid FireWire support in Win7. I bought my first USB/FireWire interface, and it was a disaster. (My previous success was with an older PCI interface) Make sure that your FireWire chipset is one of the Texas Instruments ones (although you might get lucky with your interface even if it's an LSI or VIA chipset...depends on the interface, its drivers, and the current alignment of the planets, apparently). The most common thing that Win7 FireWire users have success with is loading the legacy FireWire drivers. So you may want to give this a try:

http://www.rme-audio.de/forum/viewtopic.php?id=9827

It's easy to undo if it doesn't work.

Well, 0ms latency is an unrealistic goal. But depending on the interface, you should be able to get it below 10ms each way. It sounds like it's not a compatibility issue, but a configuration issue. What is your current buffer size, in samples?

Well, 0ms latency is an unrealistic goal. But depending on the interface, you should be able to get it below 10ms each way. It sounds like it's not a compatibility issue, but a configuration issue. What is your current buffer size, in samples?

The lowest it goes.... I think it's 48.

I've tried recording in Audition, and Cool Edit..... Both have the same latency.... If I check the boxes that corrects for drift/latency it helps, but it's still off.
I really think the box just isn't compatible with Windows 7 64 bit..... It worked great on my slow XP machine years ago....

Yeah, that's a bad sign if you've got your buffer size that low on a computer that fast and you're still experiencing 100ms of latency. It may boil down to Win7's awful FireWire support. M-Audio's website says that the FireWire Solo is compatible with Win7. It may be time to contact their support to see if they have any suggestions. Maybe they have a trick or two up their sleeves.

Back