Can an outboard limiter be easily integrated into a basic home studio for mastering?

cfg

I have a basic home studio, using Reaper, with several preamps running into a Tascam 16x08 interface. I have mastered all in the box, with acceptable results, but I'd like to know if it's viable for me to master using an outboard comp/limiter. I need a general idea of how I would route the mix from Reaper into an outboard compressor and back into Reaper. I am essentially a novice, and how I would go about doing this puzzles me.

mjbphotos

What?!?
What makes you think that an outboard limiter will be any better than in the box? Its really a matter of setting up your routing to send the mastered stereo signal to 2 of the outputs on the Tascam, then the returns from the limiter to 2 inputs on the Tascam and back into a new stereo track in Reaper.

Reactions: cfg

cfg

Thanks for the reply. I have a chance to trade for a Manley Slam. I'm imagining it would be better than comp/limiter plugins.

rob aylestone

I've never ever had an expensive compressor - I've always spent my money on things that make much more difference. Mics, new sounds, keys, computer upgrades all make much more obvious differences to the sound. Sure, as said above, the clever compressor might make it sound different, but maybe a new mic for the money you have would be better targetted. There was a great old Abbey Road story where they had one of their old, prestige and rare compressors being tweaked during a mix, and only discovered afterwards that while the input was connected, the output wasn't! Those tiny adjustments people were making and heads being nodded to simply didn't exist!

Reactions: cfg