Cakewalk Pro Audio 9.03 Help Needed

I am currently running this software with a SM58 directly into the mic "in" on my laptop to track 1. I am content with the "live" recording to record, listen back, restructure parts etc...I am just wondering if there is a simple piece of hardware that can be used to record multiple tracks and simultaniously? and maybe an overdub or two. the ports available are: USB (3), Expansion Port, 1394 (IEEE 1394)?, PC Card Slot (Type I and II), Express/54 and Express/34 Card Slot, and 1/8" audio in jack. I lised all because i have no idea if any or all are of any use. Sorry if this has been asked a bunch of times, I looked through the board prior to posting this. THANKS.

That's kind of a Mac vs PC question. I have used both without problems. I have also had problems with both. USB 2.0 is generally a cheaper route, but Firewire may have a slight edge in throughput.

USB vs Firewire (1394)

Actually, the two are very closely matched on throughput if you're comparing USB 2.0 and if you're looking strictly at max bit rate. Firewire is spec'd at 400MB/Sec, and USB 2.0 at 480MB/Sec. The primary difference is that the Firewire interface on your computer has hardware to handle the process of assembling the stream of bits from the external device into a collection of bytes in memory and to handle the overhead of the communications protocol, while the USB requires the computer's processor to do that. Thus if you are using a lot of VST filters and effects for processing your audio as you record, or using software synthesizers to do instrument tracks along with the audio you're taking in through the interface, the total CPU load will start pushing the limits of the machine sooner with USB.

For just a single channel or a stereo pair, recording to the hard disk without a lot of signal processing you probably won't see any difference, and the USB interfaces are a bit cheaper and there are more to choose from. If you're really going to load up your machine with audio bells and whistles, though, or you're looking for a 12- or 16-track IO setup for real multi-track recording, you'll really benefit from the Firewire.

I use Cakewalk Pro Audio 9.3 as well. I LOVE it!
When using my dedicated recording comp. I use an INCA soundcard with an 8in/8out breakout box. When I'm using Cakewalk on my laptop I use either a Behri USB guitar gizmo (AUS$70) or a Behri USB stereo in/out gizmo (AUS$50). Both work for me as I usually only record a stereo in from a drum machine or keyboard or a guitar & both have headphone outs so they bypass the internal soundcard which is usually a good thing with a laptop.
What you use ought to be determined by what you laptop can handle/is set up for best.
PA 9.3 will cope with at least 8 ins/outs as demo'd by my INCA so it'll be up to your comp.
Don't forget to buy the VST adapter from the cakewalk site & the upgrade for it. It's not free but it works MUCH better than the free spin audio adapter AND it remembers the VSTs & settings to boot. Oh, 9.3 will take almost ALL of the available free VSTs with the adapter including the Blockfish & Antress suites.

Information about Cakewalk Pro Audio 9 or 9.3

Good morning everybody. I would like to know if is still possible to have the Cakewalk from some store. I know is an old program but let me tell you that is a good one and I like very much. Well all information will be appreciate.Thanks a lot and have a nice weekend. Greetings.

acasunshine :)

Good morning everybody. I would like to know if is still possible to have the Cakewalk from some store. I know is an old program but let me tell you that is a good one and I like very much. Well all information will be appreciate.Thanks a lot and have a nice weekend. Greetings.

acasunshine :)
Welp. You could try cakewalk.com...

Actually, the two are very closely matched on throughput if you're comparing USB 2.0 and if you're looking strictly at max bit rate. Firewire is spec'd at 400MB/Sec, and USB 2.0 at 480MB/Sec. The primary difference is that the Firewire interface on your computer has hardware to handle the process of assembling the stream of bits from the external device into a collection of bytes in memory and to handle the overhead of the communications protocol, while the USB requires the computer's processor to do that. Thus if you are using a lot of VST filters and effects for processing your audio as you record, or using software synthesizers to do instrument tracks along with the audio you're taking in through the interface, the total CPU load will start pushing the limits of the machine sooner with USB.

For just a single channel or a stereo pair, recording to the hard disk without a lot of signal processing you probably won't see any difference, and the USB interfaces are a bit cheaper and there are more to choose from. If you're really going to load up your machine with audio bells and whistles, though, or you're looking for a 12- or 16-track IO setup for real multi-track recording, you'll really benefit from the Firewire.

Good points, but really in laymen's terms... Don't go USB. All your peripherals (mac and PC) are on your USB ports (even your mouse and keyboard). You want to squeeze every bit of bandwidth out of your chosen interface as possible, so here are some suggestions:

1) On most MBs, (even the Mac Pro Desktop -- some versions, not all they keep changing their MoBos), the firewire port and the USB ports are running off the same bus... BAAAAD. Get a Firwire card Which one? If you're on a PC... just any PCMCIA firewire card will work.

2) Go Firewire for your breakout box. m-audio, motu, and several others make great boxes.

3) Don't put ANYTHING ELSE on that bus. Any removeable HDDs should go on USB, and NOT the firewire.

4) When you're ready to record... unplug any unnecessary peripherals, and turn off any non-essential memory resident programs. Here's how to make sure on windows:

Start->Run

type msconfig

click deselect all

(now go through before clicking ok, and reselect anything having to do with cakewalk or your breakout box... and that's ALL)

click ok, and the computer will reboot, now you'll get a warning when the computer comes back up... just check the "don't warn me again" box.

Now nothing other than OS, cakewalk, and your breakout box is running, and your computer should perform quite well.

When you're recording multiple tracks simultaneously, performance is key!!!

Back