CAD M179 or Blue Spark?

mi-ke

Investing in my first condenser. I'm looking to spend no more than $200, and am hoping to find a condenser that can still sound good without any acoustic treatment.

Have any of you had experience with either or both of these mics? What are your thoughts? Is there a better mic out there for less than $200? (I've heard mixed things about the AT2020 and NTa1...) thanks

You can find the Spark for 200 bucks or less anywhere, and it does a great job on vocals. Obviously, a mic's sound quality depends on the type of singer. I'm a tenor with a bit of a nasally voice and the spark did great. However, with other applications, the M179 is much more versatile. It's been particularly heralded for its use as a tom mic.

Either way, you probably won't go wrong. Hopefully you can test the 2 and see for yourself, but from a quality and feature standpoint, for less than 200 bucks you'd be hard-pressed to find anything better. I find the AT2020 too bright, and have never used the NTa1. The only other mic I would throw into the sub-200 conversation is maybe an MXL Cr-24, but they're all great choices. I actually just ordered an M179. Cheers.

I have both---bought a Spark this past summer when they were on sale at GC for $100. The Spark has a "focus" option that changes the character of the mic. Personally, I like what it does for my voice but I haven't used it in a mix or could not say in any way what it would do or mean for you. You'd have to try it out for yourself.

The M179 has good specs and is very versatile, with unparalled options in its price range. I personally like the sound of it---it has a sort of dynamic quality coupled with an uncolored sound. It can stand out in a mix with a live, as opposed to recorded, quality.

You'll probably have good luck with either mic. If you get the M179 (as low as $116), note that it is often offered in a package with an included (oversized!) case and shock mount.

Paj
8^)

I own the 179 but have never used the Spark.

The 179 is reasonably versatile, with decent specs. I use it as a go to mic for recording group harmony vocals. It seems to capture the spread of the voices with little coloration and helps them sit well in a mix.

I don't use it for solo vocals (I have other mics I prefer) - but I'm sure it would track solo vocals effectively.

If you get the M179 (as low as $116), note that it is often offered in a package with an included (oversized!) case and shock mount.

Now at B&H photo for $111 with free shipping.

Paj
8^)

I got the m179 as one of my first mics. Came in a huge-ass case with a shockmount! Really great mic for the price. The pattern options are really nice as well, especially omni mode.

Back