buying first mic, need some tips

axis_d

I'm going to be doing a lot of research and reading up on it as well, but I just thought I'd get a thread going in here too so I can get as much info as I can. I'm buying my first mic, that I'll mainly be using for hip hop vocals, and some singing. I record in a small room, something like 11 x 11 feet. I already have an interface with phantom power, cubase, and a couple mackie hr824 monitors. And my budget is probably between $300-$500. Any tips? I was reading that condenser mics are typically used for vocals. Beyond that, I dont know too much, thanks in advance.

Hey,
Mic choice really depends on the source so it's kinda hard to blindly recommend.

What's also very important is the environment. If your room is untreated you might want to treat it or go for a dynamic mic.
Dynamic mics don't magically work better in bad environments but they do let you get much closer to them than most condensers, without problems.
That means the source is louder (to the mic) but the ambience is the same level, see?

I use and really like my sm7b. You could do worse. ;)

Nice! the room is untreated right now, but I DO plan on treating it soon. I have more research to do on that thought before i start anything. For now, i wanna get the mic so I can start working on some of these cubase tutorials :)

Ok, cool. I'd wholeheartedly recommend treating the room in the long term.
Having said that, I generally recommend the sm7b regardless. :p

Do you have any experience of any mics at all? Anything you've used and liked?

I don't have many condensers so I'm not the best person to be recommending them.

Yeah, I borrowed a friend's mic to work on a recording. I forget the model now. It seemed to work fine for me, although.... .I dont have anything to compare it to. Plus i wouldn't know what I was looking for in terms of it sounding good or not. Like you said, experience would help, but I dont have any! haha so starting out is tough.

Rode NT-2A - or you could probably find a K2 used in your ball park.
Lots of good Blue vocal mics in that range, but the Reactor stands out for punchy baritone voice.
Heil PR40 (another dynamic)
AT 4040 or 4033 are in that ballpark.
AKG C4000 (multi-pattern) nice mic.
or how about the EV RE20?
MXL Genesis is another tube mic, but it's pretty bright for hip hop vocal...but it IS gold and red (looks cool, blingy) :D

Don't know what exactly you're looking for. The C214 is an amazing mic (used one in studio years ago) and the 7b is advocated by two members I'd trust to spend my money for studio stuff.
Can you get to a floor or a studio and actually check some mics in some hp's? You really need to know what sounds best for your voice. Maybe rent an hour at a studio for $50 and try out all the mics they've got and take the reference tracks home (labeled with mic name/model) Give good healthy listens to all the mics and decide from there.

Honestly I doubt my ears are even trained enough to notice a difference, haha. I wouldn't even know what sounds to record. I probably just need to dive in, pick something, and start getting more practice before I waste too much time.

Honestly I doubt my ears are even trained enough to notice a difference, haha. I wouldn't even know what sounds to record. I probably just need to dive in, pick something, and start getting more practice before I waste too much time.

Fair enough.
An oktava mk219 or a rode nt1a would be a great mic to start with, or even carry on with.
Both are very reasonably priced and very capable.

I applaud your last sentence! I have not said it for a while but when noobs start posting long and frequent handwringing diatribes about which AI/DAW/Monitor...I have said in the past "For ***k sake stop ***'king around! PICK a setup and learn to drive it!"

My advice for a very versatile GP mic would be a Small Diaphragm Capacitor. If you pick one with a 10 or 20dB pad you will have the sensitivity of a dynamic and it can be used for close work and guitar cabs. There is little better some say (apart perhaps from a nice ribbon!) for acoustic guitar than the SDC.

Err? Has anyone said "pop shield"? Get one.

Dave.

Just starting out....get a cheap mic, Shure SM 57 or 58 they're around $100 new. Spend your big bucks on acoustic treatment.

Back