Building a Home Studio in my Basement

Egrin

So in my new house that I will move into next month, I have a lot of space in my basement and I want to build a recording studio there.
I am a musician but I have no clue about the technical side of things.
Quite frankly I don't know where to start with this, so I would love to collect a list of things that I need including sound proofing and everything that is required for a (semi)professional setup. Money and space are not the issue, although I was hoping to land in the range of 10-20k Euros alltogether.
Should I hire a professional to help me set this up and teach me how tu use all the equipment? Where would I even find somebody like that?
Anything pointing me in the right direction would be greatly appreciated.

EDIT: Maybe I should elaborate a little bit more on what I want. Basically I would like to be able to record live sessions with a full band aswell as smaller things by myself. I imagine I would need a vocal booth, a drum booth, a larger room for the band and then and extra room for the recording equipment?

Unless this basement is massive I would forget booths. Much better to build gobos and screens and surround the drums, amps singers with them. This gives you the option to change the room around for what you need at that time. This is how I work.

We will need bit more information as to what you are starting with, size, height, shape etc.

Cheers
Alan.

If you want a room big enough for bands (and separate booths - maybe just the control room) - AND soundproofing, then you will go way over that budget. Maybe you mean sound treatment?

It can be done on the budget, however you will have to do the manual work yourself. If you are hiring builders and carpenters forget it. This assuming that it's in a basement (as stated) which means the walls need minimum sound proofing only treatment, and that the ceiling is a concrete slab.

This also depends on the actual size of the space which we still don't know.

Alan.

Yep. You need to share much more information for any of us to give personal advice.

Start with the layout/dimensions of your basement. :)

Back