BR600 won't turn on

mjbphotos

Hadn't used it for a month or so. First thought was the power converter, so tried batteries, then a notehr powere adapter. No luck. :( Doubt there's any quick fix, but if anyone knows of one ... (or a place that will check them out for possible repair cheaply!)

It was the "power diode" that had to be replaced. Not sure why that would go while the unit was off, but ...

Thinking about the "power diode" made me decide to check the power supply that I got with the recorder (I bought it used so never did anything other than plug it in.) When I checked, saw ti was a 12 volt Tascam adapter. The BR 600 uses 6 (x 1.5v) batteries. Not hard to figure out what happened - specially when I think I left the (12v) power supply turned on one time, even with the recorder off there was 12 volts across the input.

The voltage is too high!

You need a 9V, center-negative DC powersupply, with at least 200-300mA output.

Your 12V psu probably fried that diode.

Luckily, I had a 9V one for my old Casio keyboard. Went to Radio Shack and asked for a 9 volt power adapter, the girl (yes, girl!) looked at me like I was some old geezer (ok, I am!) and had idea what it was I was looking for. :confused: I explained that it was like the adapter she uses to charge her phone, but I could tell she didn't understand. Must be tough getting help in small retail stores like that these days ...:eek:

Boss sucks!

I just took my BR-600 out to my barn to do some recording (the weather is finally nice). Guess what? Same damn problem. The stupid thing won't power up. I have been using the correct power source all along. So I don't know why this stupid piece of crap would just die on me. I've only got about 3 hours of play time on it. Bought it off Ebay, so probably no warranty. $75. No way. I'll poop on it and mail it back to Boss so they can keep their junk (probably made in China). I'm so frustrated. I lost my job and insurance. My middle kid just had to go to the doctor's and I'm racking up bills I can't afford...and now my outlet for creativity has been stolen away from me. What next? I'll definately jump on musiciansfriend and other sites to leave negative reviews if Boss doesn't take the helm.
BOO-YA

If you bought it new with warranty card and registered it, there is a definite warranty period.
If you send it back to them without a Return Authorization they won't accept the shipment.

What next? I'll definately jump on musiciansfriend and other sites to leave negative reviews if Boss doesn't take the helm.

I have a BR-600 and have recorded over 300 songs on it in Soundclick with no problems.

I'll follow you around and make counter reviews for this great recording device.

We use a br-900 Cd and mixxer and i would hate to guess how many songs we have recorded on it and with no problems i might add.....I think some body peed in his wheatees.....I know thats not a BR-600 but its a boss/roland unit..ok i should have stayed out of this conversatition....

same issue

I purchased my BR600 from eBay also on Dec 29 2010. I take it out of the box because I finally need to use it for the first time and I hook it all up and turn it on, no powering on. Then while talking to paypal i turn and look its all lit up and on. I turn it off to hook up to my PC for updates to download and now it will not turn back on and its been an hour. I tried with batteries no go. I paid a whopping 210.00 bucks and I hope the seller will get back to me but this sucks. But I have to say this, I use to have a BR1200 and never any issues. As far as I am concerned nobody has it down as good as Roland with the Boss series. But 75.00 plus whatever else?? I don't know about that either. is it work fixing? Please tell me I am not made of money and needed it for a gig this weekend by Friday. All in all Boss is the best at this stuff even with set backs. :)

That sucks - intermittent power problems are always hard to diagnose. Could be something as simple as a loose wire or diode connection.
Moral of the story: always try something out as soon as you buy it. It's easier to return right away than months later.

Me and my Guitar Player have a Boss BR1600 and we have been using it for over a year now. Just last night while attempting to record a new track, and our recorder would not finish booting up. It loads the system up about 50% and sometimes 75%, but our system still has trouble loading up. We burn our tracks on disk and delete it from the recorder afterwards, so I do not believe that the system is slowly loading up because our system is full. Is there a way to trouble shoot this issue?

Back