Bought a Plextor CD Burner

M Havlen

Bought a Plextor 4x2.4 DVD+R/RW & CDRW USB 2.0/Firewire External Burner.
It's connected via USB. The computer recognizes the drive, but when i try to burn a CD-R ( a TDK ) it say's " Media is write protected " ?? Get this, it WILL burn a CDRW though...?? I wasn't planning on using the DVD feature of the drive right now, I was just looking for a good CD burner....Hope i didn't miss something here, and get a DVD burner that does'nt burn CD-R's. The paperwork that came with it is not very clear. Can someone who knows about this model clear this up for me...thanks in advance

So what software were you using to write with?
You may have been trying to write a "Direct CD" which is a way of treating the CD as if it were an ordinary disk. This requires formatting like a hard disk or floppy. Because a CD-r isn't re-writable, this doesn't make sense as the disks TOC (Table of contents or index if you prefer) cannot be updated as files are added, so it might have rejected it for that reason.

Hmmm, as far as I know, all DVD burners are, in turn, CD burners. Kinda like how all squares are rectangles.

What Jim Y said is probably true, but try a different CD-R from the pack, I've gotten a few bad ones in the past. And make sure you have whatever program you're using set to "burn" or something similar, rather than "erase". Stupid thing, but a lot of problems are usually stupid things.

Thanks for the response guy's. I'm burning in CD Architect. I'll keep messing with it, and see if I can't get it working. Sounds like I'm just missing something here. Thaks again.

I'm not familiar with architect but I think the main thing is that you can't do drag and drop burning as Jim Y said. You'll need to start a multisession or non multisession cd burn. At any rate you will not be able to do drag and drop burning. Try another program. I use Nero. It's stupid proof and it works.

Also, CD Architect is not open source like so many other software apps on the market. Basically (at least it used to) you have to have a burner that is approved by CD architect whereas a lot of your consumer software will just automatically recognize any old burner. Are you positive that within CD Architect you have selected the correct burner and not another drive in your system that has an already finalized disc in it? Have you consulted the manual and FAQ's for that same error? I for one have never seen that error. Even when I have a finalized CD in the tray, it always tells me that I just need to insert a blank media. Never that it is copy protected:)

Hail Plextor! I got it going. Went into pref. in CDA and clicked on the re-fresh CD option...?? Anyway, its working now. Thanks for the info guys,

Back