Boss BR900 & Drums

MarvLSme

I hope I posted this in the right area?

I currently use a DR-550 drum machine with my BR900 recorder and everything about it is unrealistic. I know the perfect solution would be a real drummer,but that is out of reach for me at this time.

My question is, Can Drum software be patched into the BR900 recorder?
I cant find anything on the Web about this so I"m turning to you guys and gals for some advice.

Yes, but only though audio input. In other words, do the drum part on your computer, then 'play' it, use the audio out from your computer into the BR900.

Yes, but only though audio input. In other words, do the drum part on your computer, then 'play' it, use the audio out from your computer into the BR900.

Sweet! Can you recommend and user friendly Drum software?
Is "Toontrack/EZ Drummer" Really "EZ" to use?

Last edited:
You dont't actually have to "play" it into the BR. If you use the Wave converter program found on Boss's site, you can import the file into the BR. Its quicker and you will have no signal loss.

I wasn't aware the BR900 could import files - my BR600 cannot. How do you synch them on the 900, or do you have to use the file as your starter for timing?

Sweet! Can you recommend and user friendly Drum software?
Is "Toontrack/EZ Drummer" Really "EZ" to use?

I've never used any of those but i heard Superior Drummer,Addictive Drums,Drums from Hell,and a few other software kits are pretty good.I think with those you have to program everything individually to build your own drum tracks.The advantage to these is the ability to mix each drum ,cymbal,etc. individually.More control at mix time.

I use drum loops from Beata Monkey.There are many others also but with loops it's like a drum machine where the beats are clips of a real drummer playing.You can take the loops and build drum tracks from them.You can manipulate them somewhat.They contain fills intros,individual drum hits too if you just want to use them as sample replacements.The drawback of loops is you can't individually mix each drum.If you have a quieter section that needs to come out more in a mix you can have a seperate track with the same loops to double that part and raise the volume a bit on the seperate track.

With either of these options you'll probably still need multi track capability on your computer.I don't know your recorder but i'm assuming it's a stand alone recorder.You could download Audacity for free for Windows which is a multi track program and create your drum tracks on that.A lot of folks here use Reaper which is free for a trial period of forever.Then send the final drum track to your recorder.

I suggest checking out the MP3 clinic and listen to what some of the folks here are using in their tunes.Lot's of folks are using drum software and it sounds amazing.

I wasn't aware the BR900 could import files - my BR600 cannot. How do you synch them on the 900, or do you have to use the file as your starter for timing?

My guess is you would import the drum track to the BR900, record it on say track one, then record other instruments on top of that.
I am in the process of moving now but once i get everything set back up, I will post results.

Your BR600 can as well (this is the model I have). You just need to export your drum track out of your drummer software as a wave file and then use the wave converter program to import it into the BR.

Back