Boss BR1600 Thread

59 Les Paul

Hi all. Just registered. I was wondering if anyone here has had experience with the BR1600 or currently uses one?
Just curious to know what your techniques are and what kind of results you get and what else are you using with this unit ( outside mixer, etc)

Also curious to know if you export your files to a PC environment for post production mixing and mastering or do it all within the BR1600??

For me, I have one and like it. I have recorded my band as well as a couple other bands with it and I have always done the complete record/mixdown and mastering within the unit itself. I've been happy with my results. Recently purchased a 12 channel mixer w/4 bus so I can start to group instruments together for easier mixing as well as free up track space.

Anyway, was hoping to hear other opinions and ideas for the BR1600.

Perhaps this could be the BR1600 thread ??......lol.

Thanks in advance.

S.

Now that I'm using Reaper, my BR600 gets a lot of rest. I know there were a few people around here using the 1600 a year or more ago.

Great Board! I am looking forward to going through all the info that is presented here

I found this thread as I have a question regarding the 1600 , I have used a BR900CD for a few years after many years with a reel-reel set-up , really like it but want to move up to the 1600 in order to record some real drums and have more space

My question is , can I just plug in my compact flash card directly from the 900 to the 1600 and still be able to edit songs , is it compatible that way or do I have to keep the 900 in order to work on the songs created there

Thanks
Andrew

Hi Andtrans. I'm not 100%sure but I think the br1600 is compatible with the BR1200 and the BR1180, not the others Boss Models...I could be wrong but I thought thats what I read.

consider an outside mixer to deliver even better sound plus the capability to subgroup instruments( especially when recording drums) as well as help you free up track space.

I have read you can also sinc 2 BR1600's together ( 1 master, 1 slave) and have up to 16 track simultanious recording with 32 playback tracks. A company called Top Sound Productions out of Raleigh, NC developed and sells a software program for the BR1600 to help speed up the process of exporting the WAV files from a BR1600 to an PC environment.

My point, the BR1600 has lots of good options, besides having great effects and sounding good.

You know the beauty of this machine is that you can not only use it by yourself as a recording tool to layer instruments, but even more so to use it as "live band" recording board as it's perfect for that. It's mobile and easy to set up, it's light and easy to navagate. Even more so, if your not a Multitrack person, or do not like to do your mixdown and mastering on the BR1600, you can export your recorded files to a PC and do all your post production on your favorite DAW program on your computer. Just use the Br1600 to capture the "band" live.

Exporting hte WAV files is the real time killer with the BR600, that's for sure. I'm still using mine because my PC has an incredibly noisy hard drive (it's been that way for 3+ years, and hasn't died yet), so mic recording in its vicinity is impossible. I guess I could get a long extension cable for my headphones and work around that ...

Hi Andtrans. I'm not 100%sure but I think the br1600 is compatible with the BR1200 and the BR1180, not the others Boss Models...I could be wrong but I thought thats what I read.

consider an outside mixer to deliver even better sound plus the capability to subgroup instruments( especially when recording drums) as well as help you free up track space.

Thanks, was unsure if you can just export then import the files - I have many songs that I like jamming over but never really finish so may have to just put them to cd and then can play over - but not record - on the 1600

I do use a mixer but looking to create more open space for different 'versions' of tunes all on visible tracks without using the virtual, 2 sets of rhythm tracks in different styles type of thing

Exporting files from the 1600 to a PC environment is no longer a long process. Top Sound Productions has an application software that speeds up the process to minutes, instead of hours. The software is called "WAV MAKER 1600". It's designed to use specifically with a BOSS BR1600.

On another note, does anyone know if they make a multitrack recorder with more than 8XL/ 8 line inputs with at least 16 track playback? Do you know if BOSS plans to develop another multitrack recorder with more than 8 XLR/Input's ? Perhaps a BR2400????? that'd be nice.

I like my BR1600. It's great for demos and recording live bands. Even if you choose to export your files to a PC for post production, it's still a great way to capture live bands.
It's small, compact, easy to haul and is loaded with so many great effects. I just would like more recording inputs.

Thx.

S.

I can't imagine they would ever expand the selection of digital recorders. Why pay $1-2000 for a 16 track stand-alone when you can get an excellent interface for less? I would imagine that with the proliferation of audio interfaces and inexpensive DAWs like Reaper, that Boss's bottom line is dwindling.

Could use some help.

Hello all,
First I would like to say, I have a br1600 and really like it. I need to bounce two mono's to one of the stereo pairs but can't seem to only select the two tracks that I need. In other words, do I have to bounce all the tracks or is there a work around so that I can just bounce the two and free up those two mono's only. Thanks for any help.

Hi Quigon. Tracks 9&10 are considered your "bounce tracks". IOW, when you press the "Bounce" record button, the unit automatically selects tracks 9&10 to be the destination tracks for whatever your bouncing. I am not sure if you can bounce to other tracks as I have always just used 9&19 as my destination. The other thing you need to considewr is that when you go to "master" your work, the unit recognizes tracks 9&10 as the tracks to "pull" from. You try to bounce to other tracks but you'll have to set the tracks to receive the bounce, meaning, when you press "bounce", usually all the tracks with recorded material on them will light up "RED" and flash, as they are now armed to "bounce record" over to 9&10. You will need to clear any armed tracks and keep only the armed tracks you want to bounce.

S.

Hello all,
First I would like to say, I have a br1600 and really like it. I need to bounce two mono's to one of the stereo pairs but can't seem to only select the two tracks that I need. In other words, do I have to bounce all the tracks or is there a work around so that I can just bounce the two and free up those two mono's only. Thanks for any help.

Can't you just copy them? Not sure if copying a mono track to one side of a stereo track will work, though, without 'writing over' the other side.

I'm sure you can copy these to the tracks you want to go anywhere.

Hey MjbPhotos, How do you like Reaper? Do you find it easy to navigate around and find what you need? Good place for a beginner in Computer recording to start?

From what I've read on it, it seems pretty slick, and for the price I was thinking this would be a good platform to start on for Computer recording or at least post production.
I have yet to do any computer recording ( as I still use my BR1600) but since Top Sound Productions put out the "WAV MAKER 1600" software, the process for exporting files from a BR1600 to a PC environment has become extremely quick and I think I would still like to use the BR1600 for recording bands live, then export to a PC, do my PP in that environment.

Interested in your thoughts.

Thx.

S.

Yes, Reaper is fairly intuitive. You need to read the manual (at least all that applies) to get the most of it. Once you start using it for mixing, you will never want to to go back to the BR1600. Automation alone will bring a smile to yoru face - no more 'riding the faders' in a desperate attempt to keep levels equal.

Back