Boss BR-600 pros/cons

span-unit

I told a friend I was looking to buy a Tascam DP-03 and he said he's been using the Boss BR-600 for the last few years with no problems and good results. He's pointing out the rhythm capabilities along with the many instrument/amp 'models' available onboard.
Says it's easy to use and generates files useable with his Pro Tools.

I don't really want all those added goodies (except for the files) as they can be imported
later. What's attracting me the most to the DP-03 are.. The display/menus/menu-trees
are definitely more user-friendly - more english than data/numbers/banks. Phantom power +/-48V. Two built-in condenser mics. XLR and 1/4-line jacks. Built-in CD-burner
for mastering and importing other sounds/songs/tracks.

I've looked at about a dozen YouTube vids on both. With decent condenser mics, vocals sound great on both. Instruments come out very nice on both. The BR-600 does require some sort of preamp with some mics. It does let you simulate instruments other than the one plugged in. One guy was playing very polished bass parts with his six-string electric using one of the guitar/amp preset 'models'. I don't need that now.

I'm leaning toward the DP-03 because I'm not looking to produce whole songs to a semi-commercial CD. Just doing guitar (mostly accoustic) and 1-vocal - to be filled out at a
later date.

Back