Boss AC3 review

acidrock

GO PACKERS!
My latest gear acquisition
I need another stompbox like I need another hole in my head, regardless....

I had to pick up my daughter's violin from the music store because they repaired the bridge. I of course checked out their used stomp boxes and there I saw a very new looking Boss AC3 for $20. That's cheap, cheap enough that I had to buy it even though I have no use for it.:o I just like getting my hands on these things just to see/hear how it works, personally I have to get gear home and spend time with it as opposed to trying it the store to really know what it does.

First off, will it make your electric guitar sound like an acoustic? Well uh, er, um, if hooked up properly it can make it kind of uhkoostickey.:D I can't possibly say this thing makes your guitar sound like an acoustic, but I can say it will get it closer than just a clean guitar. This is really a niche pedal that allows takes some of the pain out of the compromise of playing live. I couldn't see recording with this unless you were looking for an off the beaten path kind of tone. The pedal is essentially an interesting EQ.

The very best thing about it would be the dual outputs and when there's a plug in both the pedal works as a channel switcher,allowing you to run the effected signal through the PA as opposed to your amp. The effect works much better through a clean channel and I wouldn't recommend going through the amp at all because it really fights what the pedal is trying to do.

There are four settings on the box, standard, jumbo, enhance and piezo, but I would just ignore them and use your ears. You have body and top controls which are basically low and high, plus level and reverb. The reverb is okay as an add on, but not as the main course.

This pedal is probably the ticket for a select few people, it's tone has a lot to do with the combination of guitar and pickup that you put through it and once again I think it loses it's impact when ran through an amp.

I usually wouldn't write a review but this is kind of an oddball item that most people probably will never get their hands on.

Back