Border of Love

A bit of 2.5k peak in some places, to my ears?

Nice song! Arrangement-wise, you could experiment with a percussion loop; very simple, cajon or bongo? just to add some texture to the recording.

I've got a bongo part (I like doing them mid-side nowadays - I don't get enough pop out of the heads when I record, so mid-side makes them bigger another way). I love recording bongos, cuz you get to hit things. AnywY, I'm holding it in reserve in case the arrangement needs a push, but at this point, the arrangement seems busy enough. If it needs it, it goes in however.

The idea of a loop is good, but I've already got a machine click on this one, and it sort of gets done the jj cale drum machine idea, and also gets suitably buried when Tjarko and I are playing together.

I've never done a tune to a loop - is there a genre for people who use loops and beats?

I'll check 2.5 - thanks.

Thanks.

Last edited:
Oh it's JJ Cale inspired, that makes sense now. I used to hear his music quite a bit some time ago... good vibes.

Anyway, good luck going forward on this! Looking forward to any further developments.

Old school sounding, almost has a gospel quality to it.

Good backup vocals, did you sing all those?

Agree with Serendipity Records on some sort of percussion to drive it along a bit. Full out drums would probably be too much. Maybe some sort of organ pad in parts to fill it out.

Not a fan of the click track... :)

EL

Old school sounding, almost has a gospel quality to it.

Good backup vocals, did you sing all those?
Tjarko. He's cunning, eh?

Agree with Serendipity Records on some sort of percussion to drive it along a bit. Full out drums would probably be too much. Maybe some sort of organ pad in parts to fill it out.

Not a fan of the click track... :)
It's cooked into the vocal track - I recorded it with the vocal mic. :oops:

I thought it sounded pretty nice.

I don't think I would have made a comment about 2.5K. But if you notched a little bit out there I don't think it would hurt.

I don't know if the click track was unmuted, or if it bled through. Or maybe you want it in? Anyway, there is a click all the way through.

Nice harmonies. Vocals sound nice all around.

Listened to both and really enjoyed things in both versions, thought the 1st with the click track was cool unique vibe, guitar tone was very nice, just seemed to have a splash of verb, while 2nd seemed to have tremolo and delay? Heard keys and a little more guitar fills on 2nd as well. I liked the backing vocals in 2nd a bit more.Loved the lead vocals in both , definitely JJ Cale vibe ,or even Mark Knopfler on the 1st 2 Dire Straits albums. Masterful groove on both versions , great stuff!

Cool stuff - the mix is good - but I would blend the instruments a little more - not much more - but IMO they need to be glued together a bit.

Yeah, I started experimenting with mix 'glue' on this one, but I'll take your suggestion seriously when I start re-mixing it today and be a bit more aggressive with it, just to see. Thanks for the nudge.

Hey Dobro, another great song! I always look forward to hearing your new songs, they never disappoint.

I'd take the vocal down a bit but it's not too bad at all sir.

Post edited with off topic comments deleted 😔

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Odi
Off topic a bit (or a lot really) and continuing the thoughts of the AI vocal on Odi's track posted elsewhere (and just for fun) I thought I'd give you a taste of how taking your vocal from this song and converting it to a female voice could give you an instant duet with yourself:

View attachment 143984

I agree with you that 'it doesn't come close to having the effect on me that music performed in real time has' but it can be useful.

Yeah, it's kind of hard to understand what somebody means by something they post if they don't explain, right?

By posting the Aurora video, I meant this: There's no way a manufactured voice could come anywhere near to something as good and powerful and beautiful and moving as this Aurora track is.

If I was going to use tech to manufacture a female voice out of my own, I would be okay with it as long as I made it perfectly clear what I was doing and why I was doing it. So, for example, if I wrote a song about a guy exploring his own feminine side by dialoguing with those parts of himself, I would be okay using a machine voice to take one side of the dialogue. And I might autotune the crap out of it to let the listener know what was going on. I'd be creative and playful with it, but I wouldn't do a machine voice and try to pass it off as a real female singer.

That's my attitude to the new stuff. But each of us is going to have to work out their own relationship to it and their own standards. Back in the day when FL Studio was called Fruity Loops, I really got into it and had a blast manufacturing beats and even put together a song or two with it. But I abandoned it when I got the strong impression that the mechanicality of it produced a music that was relatively lifeless compared to, say, the music of Louis Armstrong. The proof's in the pudding, as they say. YMMV

Yeah, it's kind of hard to understand what somebody means by something they post if they don't explain, right?
Right. Especially if it's all off topic nonsense as posted by me on this occasion.

Post edited with off topic comments deleted 😔

Last edited:
Back