Bobby Ivy - Song Critique

Hi Bobby. Welcome to the forum! Feel free to poke around some other threads and leave feedback on other people's mixes too. (Even if you're still learning, it's always good to have someone's opinion.)

So I'm listening to Spoon Rider since that's the first one that came up.
So you're going for the lo-fi, bluesy sound, right? With that in mind, you probably need to look at the bass a little. It's really rumbly. Bass doesn't abhor the mid range as much as some people might suggest! :D
The vocals are pretty mid-rangey, but I guess that's intentional, right?
You also have some digital distortion throughout. Is that from individual channels clipping? The entire mix being turned up too much?

Overall tho, it's a pretty good mix. You've given everything it's own space to occupy, and other than the bass, it's all pretty clear.

If you're shooting for lo-fi, live feel in a concrete bunker with bad ground problems, you've got it. :) Not knocking, just what I'm hearing.
Performances are all nice. The bluesy guitar sounds very nice. The songs all seem well written and at least semi-catchy.
Having said that:
I just can't get past the feeling these were all recorded live in a bad room. Listened to most, or at least part of each song. They all have really mid range pushed vocals (harsh). The acoustic guitar sounds all sound like a piezo through an amplifier. The bass is really muddy, like it's ringing off concrete walls in a completely untreated room. Drums are mostly way back in the mix. Lots of hum.
It's a great start, but it needs quite a bit of work.

Hey,
i really liked Sin Eaters.
I think the sound fits. There are flaws, but they mostly add to the charme imo. The bass frequencies are really very rumbling/undefined at times, though.

agreed on Sin Eaters...mix sounds real good for what you are going for. I also to a little bit of Waiting Season and the mix didn't appeal to me as much as this one. I like where you are going with it all though. Cool vibe.

I listened to a bit of I Benefit and Sin Eater.

I think you have a nice singing voice. But I think there might be some overuse of EQ and reverb. It had a bit of a boxy, and at times distant, sound. This was especially the case on I Benefit. But I think the underlying vocal was probably pretty good.

The bass needs some definition. It's just kind of a drone.

I Benefit had a distant and boxy sound all around.

Back