Blues Jr price?

notCardio

I walk the line
Not sure where to put this, here or classifieds.

Thinking about selling my 1st version, unmodded Blues Jr. I hate to sell it, but I need the cash.

What do you think would be an appropriate price? And don't ask me what board it is, I have no idea.

Mods, if this is the wrong forum, feel free to move it.

Looking through sites like Reverb, amazon and ebay, looks like the III's are going from $400-500 used, $529 brand new. The only 1 that I saw was listed at $645 used. Some didn't have model designations so it seems like there might be quite a range there.

On Reverb, if you look at a listing for a Blues Jr, On the page is a link to the estimated price range and transaction history. There you can see the prices that they've actually sold for on Reverb and eBay.

I don't think that it differentiates between the different revisions though. The vast majority of the listings on there currently are for v3.

I've seen blues junior amps go for $200 to $275. Some may pay more than that for a used one...I wouldn't. At $400 used you are getting into bigger amp territory. I see hot rod Devilles and hot rod deluxes going for $400 to $500. I'm not a fan of the HRDx and HRDv amps, but the blues Jr is from this same line of fender amps.

A general rule of thumb I go by when either pricing to sell or pricing to buy a piece of equipment is this:
Half the price of a brand new one. If you try to get more than that it will take a long time to sell. When buying you can ALWAYS find the used amp or guitar your looking for at half the price of a new one...if you have patience. You can many times get more than that for something you're selling...but that usually requires patience as well.

It depends on how quick you want to turn it I guess. At half the price of a brand new one it will probably sell quickly.

the only time the "half the price of a new one" rule doesn't apply is on desirable items in short supply. there are 1000s of blues Jr's for sale so I would say the half price rule applies.

Last edited:
Yeah, I'm more with Jimi on the current price. Those higher prices are generally for the more current revisions, especially the 3. I really need to sell pretty quickly, otherwise I'd rather not sell at all. I want to sell locally because I don't want to have to hassle with shipping. I was just hoping to get more than 225 for it, considering I paid 400 used at the time. (It was used, but almost new, and a new one was going for about 600.)

What I don't agree with Jimi on is the HRDx and HRDv. I like 'em. Yeah, I'd take a '65 Deluxe or Princeton over them, but I still think they do what I like well. My only thing with them, like the other amps I mentioned, is that they're way overpowered for my situation. Even the Jr is overpowered for my situation, but I guess I always held out hope the situation would eventually change, and I'd want an amp I could at least jam with a garage band with, if not play out someplace small. I've just gotta face the fact that those days are over and they're not coming back.

Yeah, I'm more with Jimi on the current price. Those higher prices are generally for the more current revisions, especially the 3. I really need to sell pretty quickly, otherwise I'd rather not sell at all. I want to sell locally because I don't want to have to hassle with shipping. I was just hoping to get more than 225 for it, considering I paid 400 used at the time. (It was used, but almost new, and a new one was going for about 600.)

What I don't agree with Jimi on is the HRDx and HRDv. I like 'em. Yeah, I'd take a '65 Deluxe or Princeton over them, but I still think they do what I like well. My only thing with them, like the other amps I mentioned, is that they're way overpowered for my situation. Even the Jr is overpowered for my situation, but I guess I always held out hope the situation would eventually change, and I'd want an amp I could at least jam with a garage band with, if not play out someplace small. I've just gotta face the fact that those days are over and they're not coming back.

Let me qualify my statement about not being a fan of the HRDX and HRDV. It has nothing whatsoever to do with the sound of the amps. These amps sound wonderful. Clean tones to die for.
I owned and giged with a HRDv. What I'm not a fan of is the design. it has flaws that spell trouble and usually the ultimate demise of these amps. The amp chasis is a design that places the power tubes and transformers too close to the circuit board and resisters causing them to heat up too much. This causes the resistors, the circuit board, and solder joints to fracture. The amp will developed a distorted crackle that cuts in and out. fixing it is going to require a $250 repair if done by an amp tech....whether it be replacing a few cracked resistors or replacing the circuit board. It's been my experience with mine and other owners that you're lucky to get 4 years out of one without having to do the repair. I did that repair (cracked circuit board $250) after 3 years. Another year and a half later...ditto (cracked resistors replaced $200). At that point I had sunk $450 in an amp that, in great shape, would fetch $400.
Well, a year later the dreaded crackling reared it's ugly head again. I took the transformers, circuit boads, tubes....everything out of the damn thing and now it's a nice matching 2/12" speaker cab for my fender mustang V head. (I really LOVE the Mustang V by the way).

Anyway I said all that to say this....I agree with you that the HRDX and HRDV amps are wonderful sounding amps.

Jimi, that makes me nervous now. I've got a ProTube Twin that does that exact same thing, mine starts with a slight buzzing if you hit the low E string and, if left untreated, goes to complete shit within another 20-30 hours of playing. If the Deluxe, that I just brought home (used) about a week ago, does that too...I'm gonna be a little irritated. FWIW, around here the Twin only cost around $150 to get fixed the last time.

Cardio, if I didn't already have a Jr I would totally take that off your hands. More I keep thinking about it more I almost talk myself into it. Sent you a PM but don't take the first part as written in stone...

Jimi, that makes me nervous now. I've got a ProTube Twin that does that exact same thing, mine starts with a slight buzzing if you hit the low E string and, if left untreated, goes to complete shit within another 20-30 hours of playing. If the Deluxe, that I just brought home (used) about a week ago, does that too...I'm gonna be a little irritated.

Cardio, if I didn't already have a Jr I would totally take that off your hands. More I keep thinking about it more I almost talk myself into it. Sent you a PM but don't take the first part as written in stone...

I hate to be a party popper because when these amps are working right you love them and they sound really good.
With that being said, if you bought the Deluxe used, got a great deal on it, and it works perfectly with no crackle.....
SELL THAT SUMBITCH IMMEDIATELY! !!!!!!!!!!

If it start crackling it's going to cost you $250 to sell it.

If it's used the crackle may be just around the corner.
Sorry to have to be the pessimist bro but I'm just being honest. I wish someone had given me that advise after I bought mine.

So, Jimi, when you say the Blues Jr is from the same line of amps, are you saying it has the same flawed design? Also, there's a Hot Rod Blues Jr also, which this is not.

So, Jimi, when you say the Blues Jr is from the same line of amps, are you saying it has the same flawed design? Also, there's a Hot Rod Blues Jr also, which this is not.
No, I've never heard of the blues Jr having that problem. Even though they are part of that amp line, I don't think their tubes and transformers put out the kind of heat the big ones in the HRDX and HRDV do.
The design flaw is the excessive heat on the circuit boards and resistors causing stress cracks.
The dude that fixed mine told me it's a very common reoccurring problem on the Hot Rod amps. I then investigated it on the net and he was right. I hoped it would last after he fixed it the first time. when it screwed up again I SO wanted to not put anymore money into it, but I was gigging and didn't have another amp at the time....$200 amp fix was the cheapest way out. I swore if it ever screwed up again no matter what I wasn't putting another dime in it.

It did and I didn't.

Blues Jr is a solid little amp - I had mine for about 9-10 years before I had it modded. Original power tubes were a little shaky but it's just because it's biased hot from the factory (and you have to mod it to be able to adjust bias, BTW, had a bias trim pot put on mine so I could jack with different tubes eventually).

Not sure about the HRBJ...

I hate to be a party popper because when these amps are working right you love them and they sound really good.
With that being said, if you bought the Deluxe used, got a great deal on it, and it works perfectly with no crackle.....
SELL THAT SUMBITCH IMMEDIATELY! !!!!!!!!!!

If it start crackling it's going to cost you $250 to sell it.

If it's used the crackle may be just around the corner.
Sorry to have to be the pessimist bro but I'm just being honest. I wish someone had given me that advise after I bought mine.
I appreciate the insight; it's not crackling...yet but I will definitely keep my guard up now. FWIW, I usually don't run any of my amps for too long at a time; I know that doesn't make much of a difference, I'm just hoping that (by that logic) it may be a while before the solder starts popping like it does on the damn twin.

Back