Bluebird vs other same price mics

dombeyblue1

Hi ! I wanna buy condenser mic for home recording female vocals. I dont wanna spend to much because its not so serious work just for hobby but still want to have kinda pro recordings... and bluebird seems really good in his price range, It doesnt have a pattern switch but still.. ??

On the right material the Bluebird can sound very nice, but a couple of things to watch out for:

First, it can be a bit "forward" to the point of harshness in the upper mids. Since you mention you want it for female vocals, this could be an issue depending on the voice in question.

Second, although billed as a cardioid, the pattern comes a bit closer to hypercardioid. This means the singer has to be very careful to be directly in front of the diaphragm and also that directly behind the mic there's a little spot where there's a bit of pickup (the null is good to the sides though...hence my hypercardioid description). Anyhow, this could be an issue in an untreated room--you could probably get a good recording with careful placement and aiming but it'll cut your options.

They look damn sexy though!

(Above was gleaned from a couple of days playing with a friend's mic...I don't actually own one.)

Suggested alternative to consider: the sE2200a II C. I have several 2200a variants which are my go to mic for many vocals, particularly female. I tend to use them in preference to several rather more expensive mics I have.

That's great coming from another mic slut!

Face it. Microphone monogamy is not for us!

:D I know! Tube microphones sleeping with dynamic microphones. It right out of a Frankenstein movie ... think of the offspring.

nice talk you got here haha how about rode ntk...how does it compare to bluebird, and lets say the room its not that perfect but kinda good and my female singer has kinda more mids then highs though but sometimes she will go really high...

Am really liking the Rode NTK.

There is a MXL V77 for sale in the want ads here. That I find a very good microphone for female vocals.

Back