Blue Yeti; Should I keep it?

Gunni

Hello Everyone!

So I'm a gaming YouTuber, and the microphone I use is the Blue Yeti.

I'm currently not happy with the background noise the Blue Yeti is picking up, I can hear my keyboard thumping extremely loud, as well as my mouse and PC fans.

Should I buy a brand new mic that will not pick up as much background noise, or could I just by a boom stand (if so, which boom stand should I buy?)?

Thanks!

Hello Everyone!

So I'm a gaming YouTuber, and the microphone I use is the Blue Yeti.

I'm currently not happy with the background noise the Blue Yeti is picking up, I can hear my keyboard thumping extremely loud, as well as my mouse and PC fans.

Should I buy a brand new mic that will not pick up as much background noise, or could I just by a boom stand (if so, which boom stand should I buy?)?

Thanks!

What's your currant set with regard to mic stand/ shock mount?

Most mics in this situation would benefit from some decoupling from the desk.
A boom stand might work well for you, have you any room treatment?

Is there any way you can try to put the mics null( if it has one) so as to eliminate some of the computer noise?
If I remember correctly the yeti is a side address cardioid right?
Seems like a lot of questions rather than answers but all the answers to these question might help some issues you are having.

What's your currant set with regard to mic stand/ shock mount?

Most mics in this situation would benefit from some decoupling from the desk.
A boom stand might work well for you, have you any room treatment?

Is there any way you can try to put the mics null( if it has one) so as to eliminate some of the computer noise?
If I remember correctly the yeti is a side address cardioid right?
Seems like a lot of questions rather than answers but all the answers to these question might help some issues you are having.

I'm using the Blue Yeti by itself, but I have it sitting on a book to reduce vibrations from PC and keyboard.

Any room treatment? I don't think so.

The mics null? I have the "gain" down to the minimum if that's what you mean.

You can change the settings but mine is set on cardioid, yes :)

Thanks!

Instead of a book, invest in a floor stand with a boom arm (you can get cheapies for about $15) and get the mic right off the desk.

The "null" that was referred to is the back of the microphone. The Yeti is very sensitive at the front but has almost no pickup directly behind it--so if you can arrange to have the back of the mic pointing directly at the computer and keyboard. Since the mic is sensitive in the direction it's pointing, if you can get something soft and non-reflective (in the audio sense) behind you, that's help. Things like thick curtains, duvets or moving blankets are what I have in mind.

Difficult for you application but you might also be about to use physics to your favour--if you can halve the distance from your mouth to the mic you'll get 4 times as much volume from yourself. Similarly, if you can double the distance from the computer, that noise will be only a quarter what it was.

Finally, if none of that works you could invest in a dynamic mic like an SM57 or SM58 (never thought I'd say that). They're designed for close up work in noisy places (like a stage) during live work. The quality isn't as good as a condensor (to my ears...some like them) but you'll get less background noise. However, you'll also need a USB audio interface.

Instead of a book, invest in a floor stand with a boom arm (you can get cheapies for about $15) and get the mic right off the desk.

The "null" that was referred to is the back of the microphone. The Yeti is very sensitive at the front but has almost no pickup directly behind it--so if you can arrange to have the back of the mic pointing directly at the computer and keyboard. Since the mic is sensitive in the direction it's pointing, if you can get something soft and non-reflective (in the audio sense) behind you, that's help. Things like thick curtains, duvets or moving blankets are what I have in mind.

Difficult for you application but you might also be about to use physics to your favour--if you can halve the distance from your mouth to the mic you'll get 4 times as much volume from yourself. Similarly, if you can double the distance from the computer, that noise will be only a quarter what it was.

Finally, if none of that works you could invest in a dynamic mic like an SM57 or SM58 (never thought I'd say that). They're designed for close up work in noisy places (like a stage) during live work. The quality isn't as good as a condensor (to my ears...some like them) but you'll get less background noise. However, you'll also need a USB audio interface.

^^^ This is gold. (and you, Kip.)

If this is a Windows unit. You can check the gain settings on the windows recording device and make sure they are not set too high. (Properties-> levels). Move your desktop further away with USB (I would use a hub and extend the hub out close to all of the connections, plug in the USB to the MB connectors as they have less lag) and monitor extension cables. Or, upgrade your desktop fans to quieter fans (they have them, cost more, but they have case and CPU fans for lower sounds). Or, build a sound proofing cover and use a vent tube to move the air intake away the sound.

Lots of ways you can approach this issue.

And after all that, perhaps try a noise gate on the track to lower extra noise when you aren't talking.

You must spread some more reputation before giving it to Steeno or Bobbsy again :laughings:

I had a similar problem but currently there is no soultion for it, the best thing for that seems to be those cute little headsets with headphones and a mic attached, they do a good job of isolating the voice whilst regecting room noise. The pro's in the buiss call this ' une lavier mic'

And after all that, perhaps try a noise gate on the track to lower extra noise when you aren't talking.

It's always better to try and fix the problem at source--no matter how well set up, noise gates sound artificial because they transition from silence to a voice with background noise, then back to silence.

I had a similar problem but currently there is no soultion for it, the best thing for that seems to be those cute little headsets with headphones and a mic attached, they do a good job of isolating the voice whilst regecting room noise. The pro's in the buiss call this ' une lavier mic'

FYI, mics on headset are called....wait for it...headset mics. You can get them as a basic mic only or the sort with headphones or a mic on a boom.

Lavaliers (often called just lavs) are the sort of mic that clips onto a lapel or tie or whatever (you'll see them on just about every TV presenter you watch) or get hidden over ears, in the hairline or a ton of other spots in theatre and film use. Lavs are great mics but often not as good for noise rejection as a headset since they're mainly omnis and tend to be farther from the mouth than a headset.

Okay, thanks for the info everyone!

So I think I should get a boom stand, can anyone link me one that would be good? Obviously it needs to fit the Blue Yeti, and the cheaper the better!

Cheers.

Google local shops. Ebay, amazon
Check your yeti specs for shock mount needs. Any boom stand should work, just be careful of thread size 3/8". 5/8"

Google local shops. Ebay, amazon
Check your yeti specs for shock mount needs. Any boom stand should work, just be careful of thread size 3/8". 5/8"
Okay, thanks!

Do you know if a "DP Stage MS150" would definently fit the Blue Yeti?

Back