Blue Ridge Buzz

dogooder

I took my BluerRidge acoustic in for work because the two top string are buzzing. Two weeks later I pick it up. They adjusted the neck, did work on the bridge and put new strings on it. They charged me 66 dollars. I pointed out to them that the buzz is still there! They told me to just leave it. I told them no. If your guy couldn't fix it in two weeks what makes you think he is going to fix it this time. I told them I can't trust your guy anymore and I will never bring another guitar here and I will spread it by word of mouth. I paid them their 66 bucks took the guitar and walked out. I highly suspect the only thing done was the change of strings.

Last edited:
I took my BluerRidge acoustic in for work because the two top string are buzzing. Two weeks later I pick it up. They adjusted the neck, did work on the bridge and put new strings on it. They charged me 66 dollars. I pointed out to them that the buzz is still there! They told me to just leave it. I told them no. If your guy couldn't fix it in two weeks what makes you think he is going to fix it this time. I told them I can't trust your guy anymore and I will never bring another guitar here and I will spread it by word of mouth. I paid them their 66 bucks took the guitar and walked out. I highly suspect the only thing done was the change of strings.

It’s hard to say, however in my shop we would have readjusted it for you while you waited because people have different playing techniques and it’s possible that you play harder than they expected so the action needs to be higher or visa-versa. There as many different playing techniques as there are guitars. They should have observed you playing it and hear the fret buzz, then take the guitar and readjusted it accordingly.

It’s my job as the luthier to understand your playing needs, but sometimes that takes a couple of attempts to dial it in for the particular customer.

It’s hard to say, however in my shop we would have readjusted it for you while you waited because people have different playing techniques and it’s possible that you play harder than they expected so the action needs to be higher or visa-versa. There as many different playing techniques as there are guitars. They should have observed you playing it and hear the fret buzz, then take the guitar and readjusted it accordingly.

It’s my job as the luthier to understand your playing needs, but sometimes that takes a couple of attempts to dial it in for the particular customer.
No one around here seems to have a in shop guy. They are all freelancers who come in and pick the instrument up and when finished drop it off.

No one around here seems to have a in shop guy. They are all freelancers who come in and pick the instrument up and when finished drop it off.
In that case they should have directly contacted to tech and put you and him together to suss it out. This doesn’t sound like a store with a proper tech station in their facility with a proper tech. I’d hit them up for a refund since they didn’t fix the issue you paid them to fix, but in this case you will have to give them the opportunity to correct their mistake prior to the refund.

In that case they should have directly contacted to tech and put you and him together to suss it out. This doesn’t sound like a store with a proper tech station in their facility with a proper tech. I’d hit them up for a refund since they didn’t fix the issue you paid them to fix, but in this case you will have to give them the opportunity to correct their mistake prior to the refund.
I am not giving them my guitar again and waiting for another two weeks. I already told them I can't trust their guy. As far as I am concerned the neck adjustment and saddle and nut work were never performed, just new strings slapped on. I pointed it out to them and said you still hear it correct? Yes they did. Their only suggestion was, leave it here. Lesson learned. The only in store tech guys they have are horn guys. They did a good job on my sax.

I am not giving them my guitar again and waiting for another two weeks. I already told them I can't trust their guy. As far as I am concerned the neck adjustment and saddle and nut work were never performed, just new strings slapped on. I pointed it out to them and said you still hear it correct? Yes they did. Their only suggestion was, leave it here. Lesson learned. The only in store tech guys they have are horn guys. They did a good job on my sax.
Get a refund and move on then. I’d never leave it at a shop for a 3rd party vendor to take it home to work on even though I’ve been that guy who was the third party vendor for decades. I would always communicate directly with the customer in my case, however.

Get a refund and move on then. I’d never leave it at a shop for a 3rd party vendor to take it home to work on even though I’ve been that guy who was the third party vendor for decades. I would always communicate directly with the customer in my case, however.
If they were going to negotiate they would have done it there and then. They have my name and address and wifes phone number.

When I resided in Rockville, Md. some 25+ years ago, I had all of mine fixed/repaired by Mike Dove. He operated out of multiple stores as well as his home in the DC/Md/Va metro area. Not sure he's still in the area, probably is. He allowed me to bring my guitars to his home - that was close to my place.

Since moving to Florida, I've only needed to take a guitar in once and that was for a setup on a new Strat. Dude said he worked for Gibson for 25(?) years then retired to his home a few miles from me. Operates out of his house, which is wall-to-wall amps, guitars and related gear in every room - except one bedroom as his shop. It was like walking into GC, only there was furniture to sit on.

I reckon that would be too far for two round trips.

Back