Blending Fostex with todays software...help

MetalNeverBends

I purchased my Fostex 16 track digital recorder about 14 years ago. Though it's not the most user friendly, I hate to part with it. So my question is this...does anyone know of current recording software (cakewalk, pro tools etc) that can be used with the vf-160. Also, how can I take my recorded tracks from the vf-160 and dump them into the computer software. I would prefer not burning onto a cd as a means to take them from point A to point B.

If you had a MR16 it would have been a doddle! MR16 has a USB output.
You do have an Optical Digital Out so if you can find a Adat to USB converter, you can download your song files. The other alternative is to use the Line In on your Sound Card and transfer from the Monitor Out.
The vf-160 was designed to transfer to another recorder with an optical input. An example is my Denon mini-disk recorder. The MR series (8 & 16) were designed to just be a front end recorder for sound files to be edited in a computer. Hence the USB output and the use of memory cards.
Hope this helps.

. . . then the CD-R or CD-RW routines are going to be your best bet. Important: Don't forget to use the option to save your tracks as WAV files (which will load into any legitimate DAW). Also note that saves to a CD-RW will take 1.5 to 2 times longer than saving to a CD-R.

Paj
8^)

Back