binaural mics, core-sound, soundprofessionals, any others?

SN

I want to be able to Go to concerts as an audience member, and leaving them as a person with great recordings of each concert.

I also want to be able to, as an afterthought, record any rehearsal of mine easily and without a fuss, regardless of ensemble type and location.

I want the quality of microphone capture and recording to be high enough to be able to take full advantage of a CD 's playback sound fidelity.

These stealth recordings will not be "stolen" recordings. I will ask the performers permision. Perhaps if the performance and recording is really good I will make a CD for them and sell it for a price that will recover my costs.

To do this, I really want to be able to record without a hassle, without a lot of room preparation, and without bulky, cumbersome and noticeable equipment.

I have decided that clip on binaural mics are the best way to go, (Does any one prefer T-style?) because I can vary the stereo perception by moving the two mics

clip on binaural
Core sound (www.core-sound.com)
two separate tiny clip on mics. around $230 US through internet buy. attach to jacket or any holder, stand, suitable object.

Sound Prossional (www.soundproffesionals.com)
similar product for about $200 US.

Any preferences between the two?

Also, does anyone think that those comapnies "Low Cost" versions, about $70 US would be able to do the job?

As a portable battery operated stereo recorder, I am strongly favouring the minidisc format.

Similar sized battery operated cassette units ($50) are not good enough sound wise and portable DAT is too expensive. Both tape formats also lack random access and editing abilities.

Any ideas or suggestions?

I actually do this myself, well, haven't for a long time. This is one of the things that got me interested in recording.

I use a Sharp MD302 Recorder and Low Cost Coresound Cardiods,(binurals are same quality, just different uses, so dont worry). I had gotten recordings that people rated on sites as "A" quality, its all about levels, and mastering afterwards on your computer. Think of it this way, why invest $300 in some mics that you use for a product that at some concerts or venues, may be confescated? I'd go with low cost, and drop the extra $200 on mastering software or something for your studio :) MD is a very good format for live audience recording, you may have heard incredible sounding audience recordings, done most likely with a similar setup to this:

Tascam DAP-1 ($1500)
Stereo SM81 Pair ($600)

So for about $300-400, as opposed to $2100, i think you will be pleased.

Back