Beware! This MS patch for WinXP SP1 can SLOW your computer!

satchanzaza

If you have downloaded and installed the 811493 patch for Windows XP SP1, from the Windows Update site, it can cause a BIG slowdown of your computer! It happened to me, but when I removed it from the Add/Remove Control Panel Applet all was back to normal.

If you use the Windows Update site on a regular basis and have experienced a big performance hit you may want to check it out.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;819634

Hmmmm...thanks. I wonder if that has anything to do with my slow boot to XP?

I noticed at some point it seems to take for freaking ever to boot up. Might have to give it a try. Looks like I really don't need this to be running anyway.

Thanks for the info :)

Jagular, mine was slow to boot also.

rvf263, according to the MSKB article above...

To remove the original 811493 security update:

1)In Control Panel, double-click Add or Remove Programs.
2)Click Change or Remove Programs.
3)Click Windows XP Hotfix (SP1) Q811493 (or Windows XP Hotfix (SP2) Q811493), and then click Remove.
4)Click Next, and then click Finish to restart your computer.

If you haven't noticed a slowdown, I wouldn't worry about it. But in my case it was a BIG slowdown and I was going nuts trying to figure out why, until I found the links below(which led me to the MSKB article).

Some more info if you are interested...

http://www.langa.com/newsletters/2003/2003-04-24.htm (Article 2)

http://www.komando.com/tips_show.asp?showID=4478

I have been noticing a sloooooooooow down on my computer, also.

I removed the above stated patch a couple of days ago. ;)

Now, everything is back to normal. :cool:

spin

When you installed the patch did you have an anti-virus software running or any back-ground app with similar activity?

there have been NUMEROUS windows patches that if you download and install (more notably) with anti-virus software running it usually results in a slowdown of your windows machines speed. It's then recommended you uninstall the update, disable your background software and install again. It usually fixes the issue.

Another boot-up slow down is files located in your windows "prefetch" folder. Removing almost all but one file or what you don't need from that makes a noticable boot-up speed increase.

Nosferous,

Thanks for the info! I usually leave my anti-virus program running whenever I install software(my vendor actually recommends it). I've only been using computers for 3 years and in that time I've downloaded and installed many(has to be over 300) programs, patches, etc., and the only slowdown problem(there have been others) I can remember has been the 811493 patch(btw, it appears that MS has now "patched" this patch). I guess I've been lucky, however, your suggestion will make a great addition to my troubleshooting toolkit!

Also, I appreciate the info on the "prefetch" folder!

No problem!

I only usually disable my anti-virus software if it's a windows update, or a reliable software company.

There was another xp update about 3 or 4 months ago, that caused noticable slowdown. And it was caused by installing that update with anti-virus software running. So, that's when and where I learned the AV software with the addition of windows updates can lead to slowdown issues.

Back