Better sound card than sound blaster live

Blackout

Greetings all, I have been lurking in the background but now must come up to speak.

I am an actor/singer and I have been doing multitrack recording and film/video editing for a while, but mostly on dedicated units like the Roland and similar ect.

Now that I have gotten a pretty powerful setup in my own studio, I want to get a soundcard to do some multitrack demos, but I am very confused as to what to get. I was going to go with the soundblaster live platinum because I really like the live drive that has coax and optical digital ins and outs as well as quarter inch ins and outs. Of course I do a little research and find that people universally bash it for doing any professional high quality work.

Can someone tell me of a good professional card that has a similar setup as the soundblaster live with the live drive? I have a dat with a lot of work on it so I will need digital ins and outs coax at least, and I also have a mackie 1402 vlz mixer that I will be pre-mixing everything to go into the computer. I want full deplex obviously to be able to record and play back multiple tracks and I want to be able to hear effects in real time so I can record vocals/guitars with ehadphones on while hearing the reverb, not just applying it later.

I have been doign a lot of work in acid with samples and accoustic guitar, but I can't seem to record with a reverb on where I can hear it. I also use Vegas.

Does one need to have two soundcards in the computer? One for pro audio multitracking and then a common soundblaster live or ect for normal computer use. I also do video editing on the machine as well and occasionaly play a game or two but not much.

As I said, I really like the sound blaster live drive mdule and I am upset that I hear the card has drift problems and what not. I would like a pro card with a similar box that I could put into a 5 1/2 bay so I have front access quality ins/outs to my dat and mixer.

I also can't blow too mcuh money. The $200.00 for sundblaster was just right but for quality I can go up to around $400.00 if needed.

Thanks for any help.

- Michael

- Blackout

PS: check out my site for several hours of laughter

Oh, and I forgot to mention, and this seems to be a big problem, I need midi in/out too. This is why the sblive platinum with live drive seemed like a great solution untill I started hearing of quality problems and recording drift between tracks.

Delta, Echoaudio are some recommendations I would make. These cards would have digital i/o but no midi capabilities, so you would need to keep your sblive for midi chores.

You may want to look into the Aardvark cards, too. The 24/96 if you need preamps, the Direct Pro LX6 if you don't. 4 ins, 6 outs (on the LX6), SPDIF, midi in/out... About $350-400 for the LX6, a bit more for the 24/96.

I have continued looking and found the Audiophile 2496.. it seems to have everything I need. digital in and out/analog in and out, midi in and out. But can I hookup a plain midi keyboard to this and turn my computer into a synth or do I need a card like the soundblaster for that?

Anyone have opinions of the sound quality of this card?
Would it be better than the roland vs-880- or vs-1680s ad converters?

- Blackout

Back