Best way to set up a mixer to a multitrack

MalikktheFreak

Hey there,
I wanted to know the best way to have my Xenyx 802 mixer set up to my Tascam DP-02 8 track recorder. I want to be able to EQ instruments etc before recording them into the Tascam. Right now I have it set up to where I have the L\R main outs in the mixers are going into an input on the Tascam. I also have a rack unit I want to use that’s hooked up to my mixer through the return and send.

Why do you want to use the Xenyx - are you trying to mix multiple tracks down to the stereo output for recording? The Behr preamps are not very good (IMO). You can use the AUX send to your rack gear, then the return back from the rack, or just use the rack's out direct to your recorder.

Strictly EQ-wise.. your DP-02 offers much more variation with EQ frequencies. They're not fixed.

Why do you want to use the Xenyx - are you trying to mix multiple tracks down to the stereo output for recording? The Behr preamps are not very good (IMO). You can use the AUX send to your rack gear, then the return back from the rack, or just use the rack's out direct to your recorder.

Well mostly, with the DP-02, I can only EQ after a track is recorded so I wanted to be able to EQ Prior to laying down the track. Like if I wanted to EQ my guitar more to achieve a better sound, or EQ vocals before etc

EQ should be used when mixing to get the parts to sound good TOGETHER. Yes, adjust guitar's EQ to get the right sound - before recording. If you are DIing or miking, adjust the guitar's tone controls, move the mic to get the sound you want.

I'm mystified too - I never (well maybe occasionally) do anything to what I record - into the machinery and it's recorded. Everything is done afterwards because I discovered most choices you make prior to the mix will be wrong. The Tascam has plenty of scope on replay - I cannot think why I'd want to add an extra mixer to degrade the sound in this way? Pointless and destructive.

I'm mystified too - I never (well maybe occasionally) do anything to what I record - into the machinery and it's recorded. Everything is done afterwards because I discovered most choices you make prior to the mix will be wrong. The Tascam has plenty of scope on replay - I cannot think why I'd want to add an extra mixer to degrade the sound in this way? Pointless and destructive.

Well one reason I want to use the mixer with my Tascam is because I have a drum machine with separate outs for the snare kick hi hats etc, so I can eq each sound A little more separate prior to recording it. But I also thought I could use the EQ on my mixer to tweak sounds a little more. I do understand what you are saying though.

nothing to stop you using that into the line inputs I guess then doing the same thing - unless you run out of ins? Not sure how many line ins the Tascam has?

Back