Best reverb impulses for vocals ?

Best is relative to the genre, the song, the mics and the performance. It's really tough to say, but I'm sure there are a ton of free VST plug ins that would get you close to the sound you're looking for. If it was me I would just experiment with the settings on the reverb plug ins I already have.

Best is relative to the genre, the song, the mics and the performance. It's really tough to say, but I'm sure there are a ton of free VST plug ins that would get you close to the sound you're looking for. If it was me I would just experiment with the settings on the reverb plug ins I already have.
+1
Assume you mean impulses. Does it have to be?
Sounds like fairly plain jane verbs. Fairly straight uncomplicated decays (as in not much in the way of special reflections or echos in the decay. The first one seems like it could be two layered at times.
Plate, Chambers, they can be 'simple in that way. Play with size and R/T first -sometimes called 'mid r/t-- 1 and a half to a few seconds or more? Then Shape' if it has it, low=nominal straight decay from the R/T. Then your crossover freq and multiplier sets your low end decay vs the mid.

Have you tried Waves IR? There are some lexicon 480 and other old reverbs you can import into it and sounds amazing. you get that legendary verb that you hear on all the classic records.

By "impulses" I assume he's trying a convolution reverb. I probably wouldn't use a convolution reverb from vocals except for a special effect.

As others have said there's all sorts of free VST reverbs out there...most have a preset called something like "Great Hall" or similar. I'd start from there then play with the settings. I'd also note that the tracks you posted aren't just reverb--they've used fairly heavy compression before the 'verb.

If you can handle 32 bit VSTs, have a try of DASample Glaceverb for a start.

A lot of reverbs can get you there. Those didn't sound like an ubercheap one, but it definitely wasn't an expensive one. That sounded a little like the D-verb to be honest with you.

Exponentials R2 and the Valhalla stuff has some similar sounding stuff I don't think that was a waves IR 1. The waves IR 1 can do similar stuff. But again, to me that reverb sounds algorithmic, specifically because of the manipulation of the early reflections and the delay offset.

If you were to attempt this with a Waves IR1, grab the free convolution pack that is included with the plugin and go through some of the larger venues. Theres a lot of these that will work, roll the high end off until the sibilance goes away.

Back