Best preamps/mics mobile recorder under $400

TPMCD

Not quite sure how to word what I'm asking, but I'm looking into getting a mobile recording device, something that I can use to track 2 or more instruments (vocals, etc.) at a time (the music style is rock/pop/acoustic).

Tascam, Fostex, Zoom, etc. all have interesting looking multi-track machines (DP32, DP-008, R16, etc.), and I was pretty much settled on getting iine of these until I stumbled on the handheld recorders like the Zoom H6. This device seemed to be more geared toward film work, etc., and thus might be more "serious" and have "better" mics and preamps.

I can look at the specs, but really I don't know what I'm looking at (I am trying to learn however).

What is most important to me is getting at least two simultaneous tracks with the "best" (I know that's subjective) sound. I do not need to be able mix with this device as I intend to download to my PC, and I do not need any effects.

So, I'm thinking for under $400 the Zoom H6 seems like a good choice. Any thoughts? Any input greatly appreciated, thanks.

Back