best mic for the buck

I use a Marshall MXL2001 for vocals, its a great large diaphragm condenser. I got it for like $150 at musiciansfriend.com, and it came with a free small condenser that is cool alsol. And of course i recommend Shure SM57 for guitar cabinets and snare drums. It runs about $80.

The MXL V69ME tube mic is great on guitar amps, and gives a warm, classic sound. Audio-Technica 4050, Studio Projects C1 and B1 are also great for amps. We also use the Red5 Audio RV8 quite a bit on amps.

For dynamics, there's also the Shure SM58 and the Sennheiser 421. Beyer 160 is a great ribbon on amps.

You can audition MP3 soundclips of a bunch of mics on a vintage Fender amp here.

Dan Richards
Digital Pro Sound
The Listening Sessions

morellofiend said:
I use a Marshall MXL2001 for vocals, its a great large diaphragm condenser. I got it for like $150 at musiciansfriend.com, and it came with a free small condenser that is cool alsol. And of course i recommend Shure SM57 for guitar cabinets and snare drums. It runs about $80.

I think you'll find most (if not all) people here think much more highly of the MXL 603s you got in the deal than the 2001.

If I got stuck with the 2001 I'd perform the Royer tube mod on it.

Under $500 mics that don't suck:

* Shure SM7

* Rode NT1000

* Audio Technica 4040

* Shure ksm27

Of the bunch, I'd say the Audio Technica would be your best bet for guitar amp micing.

chessrock said:

* Shure SM7

* Rode NT1000

* Audio Technica 4040

* Shure ksm27

Of the bunch, I'd say the Audio Technica would be your best bet for guitar amp micing.
You can also usually find the NTK for less than $500. One retailer that does is your sworn enemy: musiciansadvocate.com.

thanks for your replies... how about an 8 channel rackmount pre amps? would the preamps on a Behringer MX9000 be sufficient for drums? id use a nice pre amp on everything else, i just dont know if i can afford 8 pre amps. any suggestions?

chessrock said:

* Shure SM7

* Rode NT1000

* Audio Technica 4040

* Shure ksm27

would you consider the 4040 or ksm27 better?

3 words....Studio Projects C1
Great for vocals, and you can use it for guitar as well.
Now, I don't work for SP, nor I have any afiliation with them other than a great respect for their product, but I just engineer a session with a known singer (I prefer to keep the name private). Now, I used this mic along a Neumann m147...guess wich one she liked best...not the german. So did I tought.
I'm not putting down the 147, nor I'm saying the C1 is a better mic, but certainly for the price you must own one.

$500 will get you good vocal and amp mics. If you actually have $500 to spend, and you want to cover those bases, I'd suggest though that you get at least 2 mics - a dynamic and a condensor. Lots of great amp tones have been recorded with dynamics, but there are some tones where only a condensor will do. Also for vocals, there have been some great tracks done with just a cheap Shure dynamic. So either way, you win.

Possible combo's:
Shure SM57 $79
Studio Projects C1 $229
Studio Projects B1 $79
Total $387 - gives you a decent dynamic, a coloured LD condensor and a more neutral LD condensor. Add another B1 and you've got a good stereo pair for acoustic/drum overhead etc.

Sennheiser MD421 (or shure SM7) $299
Studio Projects C1 $229
Total $528 gives you a great LD dynamic (good on vocals/amps/kick/toms/low brass) and a nice coloured LD condensor

Rode NTK $449 (at 8thstreet, there may be lower $ out there)
SM57 $79

The list goes on and on, but these are a few I'd consider.

Steve

yup im a newb said:
any suggestions under 500? and how about mics that work well with guitar amps??? advice appreciated

Based on the many reviews on zzounds.com, the Behringer B1 seems a good buy. Didn't try one .. yet :D

Daniel

yup im a newb said:
thanks for your replies... how about an 8 channel rackmount pre amps? would the preamps on a Behringer MX9000 be sufficient for drums? id use a nice pre amp on everything else, i just dont know if i can afford 8 pre amps. any suggestions?

I was reading a thread on the n-track forum (www.fasoft.com) about pre-amps. The guys on there said that the pre-amps on the Behringer MX series mixers are not as good as the UB series. Might be something to think about.

Last edited:
yup im a newb said:
would you consider the 4040 or ksm27 better?

They're actually very similar-sounding mics, so I suppose you could flip a coin.

I didn't realize that the price has come down on the NTK. Last I checked it was $500 . . . so if $450 qualifies to you as safely enough below the $500 mark, then go call musiciansassclowns and get it!

:D

Or call someone else, but I hear the assclowns could use the business.

Seriously, though, the NTK is the best thing out there under $500 for vocals and guitar amp, if that's what you're looking for.

As for preamps, I would look at a Mackie board as my absolute starting point. Buy it used if you can't afford it new . . . I just don't think the Behringers are going to be very reliable down the road.

Buy a SM-57....it is a studio standard and is my favorite thing for miced electric guitars, snare drums, ...heck some people even like them on vocals ( or a 58) ...and it will be a good live workhorse as well.....Cheap and readily available the 57 is a no brainer.....what's up chess?

All you need to start recording is a 57. Awesome for miking an amp.

If you want to take it up a notch, Oktava 219s rule for vocals and acoustic guitars.

chessrock said:
Seriously, though, the NTK is the best thing out there under $500 for vocals and guitar amp, if that's what you're looking for.

I totally concur.

Nothing beats the NTK in it's price range.

Back