Best headphones for tracking?

Dominica69

Hey folks.. Hope all is well with ya.
Well.. Today i was getting ready to lay down some tracks.. I had a microphone ready and my acoustic guitar in hand..
I put on my Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro's and started to strum.. Well.. damn.. i can only hear one side.. The right side is dead..
So i try it on other devices.. same thing.. Not giving me anything in stereo.. I've always sworn by beyerdynamic cans.. but i'm
a tiny bit annoyed here.. i generally look after my gear, so it's always a huge shock when something packs up and stops working...
Anyway.. there's probably a thread somewhere else on here about this so.. apologies if thats the case... i'm looking to spend around 100 to 150 good
English pounds on a pair of cans.. any suggestions?

I'll second the AT M40x. I use those and the AT M50x... both are comfortable and work great for my tracking needs. I don't use them for more than 1-2 hours at a time though, YMMV.

No recommendations here.. but I will add that whenever any of my phones did that it was always something to do with the jack or plug. Rotating the jack in the plug usually helped - but you've probably done that.
________

I'll backtrack a little. I'll recommend Tascam TH-200X, but only when they go on sale - because $99 is too much. Guitar Center has them on sale once in a while for $19.99, but that's usually right after you buy something else for $50+ . Amazon has them for around $49 right now.

Last edited:
To play guitar over headphones I am using AKG 271 MKII since many many years. When my first pair broke after like 10 years I just bought another one.

I've got a pair of Senn HD280s for tracking. I use AKG K240s for listening and checking balance, tho. The 280s just sound too bassy to me.

AKG 271 have flat response, are very comfortable, a studio staple for tracking. I have two pair, and would buy them again in a heartbeat. Easy to work with.

It depends on how serious you take your recordings. I use an excellent Sennheiser HD-202 for tracking, mixing and mastering. :D

Now talking about your headphone, I don't think that you should dump it just because one of the sides is dead. Probably everything you need is a new cord or a bit of solder in the jack.

I'd say fixer the Beyers too - I've got a few pairs of DT100's, and I like them. Not remotely the best sounding headphones in the world but lacking 'enhanced' audio. All the bits that could be replaced probably have been on mine!

Back