Best Bass Amp <$1000 for Alternative/Post Rock/Punk?

ibleedburgundy

The Anti-Lambo
Hey there. My band plays alternative rock/blues/punk. My bass player is looking for a new bass amp. Sweetwater has a sale for the Orange 500w terror 2 x 12 for $988 (usually $1450). This strikes me as a decent deal but I've never played that particular amp before. I have an Orange Rockerverb 50 which I love so maybe their bass amps are decent too? I really don't know. I watched all the demos on youtube and read some reviews. Seems decent enough for $1K. He plays an American made Fender Jazz bass, mostly finger style but sometimes pick. He's not the type of player who is going for that ultra clean tone. A little fuzz fits his style and I think the terror - with it's gain adjustment - will fit nicely. Plus it has a direct out that I would like to use for recording. Live I would run a line into the board rather than micing him, which would be convenient as I am currently running a radial splitter that sometimes creates noise.

I already own a 400w ampeg 2 x 10 combo that he currently uses. It does the job but we're not in love with it. So I think we're leaning away from Ampeg.

Which other amps should he be considering? Thanks!

I've been using the Orange Bass Terror for a while with a 4x10 cab. Sounds good to me. You can get em used for ~ $500-600.

Never come across an Orange amp I didn't like. Tons of Bass players use them here and they always sound good.

So he bought the amp. It's the combo with 2 12s. It sounds great! For whatever reason it just sits in the blend much better than my old ampeg. It's surprisingly small/light and surpisingly loud. Perfect fit. great sound. No regrets.

I'll know more once we try to record.

Back