BBC auctions - the items that didn't sell, have been relisted for more!

rob aylestone

I did a video the other day about the perils of buying from real auctions, as opposed to ebay - and used a BBC redundant stock auction as an example. Some junk, some nice kit and other stuff. I got outbid on everything because people as usual, went silly. One item was a slightly tatty STC ribbon mic - 4038. A brand new one is currently £1200 in VAT. They are selling the used one at £1000, plus 20% VAT and 15% buyers premium.

Everything that didn't sell is way, way over what it's worth.

Have a look and see. (You might need to register to see the catalogue items)
auction here

Do you know which 16mm cameras they used for their filmed series? The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes, etc..e.g. Would any of those show up in an auction such as this?

They have a couple of things that are priced very low:

2 X Mackie HR824 Amplifed Speakers - $250 USD

Yamaha O3D Digital Audio Mixer - $125 USD

Most of the pricing is no very good.

Do you know which 16mm cameras they used for their filmed series? The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes, etc..e.g. Would any of those show up in an auction such as this?
No - only kits from typically the 2000s onwards. So mixers such as Yamaho digital 02 and 03s. My experience was with Anglia TV and at that time we were using Aatons, but in the late 70s the BBC for features were usuing the French Eclair NPRs. The BBC auctions feature kit currently in use - but rather than redistribute it, they just sell the lot. Nagra of course were the audio recorders with pilot-tone sync.

I've got this old video from the 80s that I shot, in the middle of the night at a location shoot - with the 16mm cameras in waterproof housings.

That was Granada TV. Completely unrelated. Unless you're referring to the Moffat show-run Sherlock.

I did that to my two last houses. If a sale fell through I raised the price ten grand against the wishes of my agent. Worked both times. I ribbed
the agents that they shouldn't get any commission out of the extra I tacked on. Made and extra thirty grand. One client had me wrapped up for
three months before their deal fell through.

Back