Bass VST and Line6 compatability

JDOD

therecordingrebels.com
OK, so I bought a Focusrite AI the other day - seems to work fine. Reaper spotted it straight off, no worries.

However, I've always used Gearbox by Line6 as a sim for my basslines. Gearbox doesn't work with the Focusrite though.

So, I was wondering - does anyone know of a free bass VSTi/plug in that will work with Reaper? Or does anyone know how I can get Gearbox to work with Focusrite... maybe there's even a VST version of GearBox. I don't know.

If all else fails I can just play my bass through my guitar amp and mic it up like normal - think that'll piss my neighbours off even more than normal though so I'd like to avoid it.

Gearbox doesn't work with the Focusrite though..

Gearbox is a standalone application and it doesn't allow you to select the source/output? If that's the case, and it doesn't have a VSTi version available, you're SOL using that in the future (how old is this app?).

Gearbox is a standalone application and it doesn't allow you to select the source/output? If that's the case, and it doesn't have a VSTi version available, you're SOL using that in the future (how old is this app?).

Ancient - got it in about 2007-2008 - but there's a handy bass sim on there that I've been using for years.

The Line6 site appears to no longer offer even an archive download of gearbox, so I'd say it's time to move on.

There's some threads regarding paid VSTi solutions, if you can afford a nominal charge for the functionality/support. Many have a try before you buy 30 day or limited functionality option.

You have the stand-alone Gearbox, not the plug-in version, I assume. Line 6 stopped making drivers for it a long time ago. You can download the free Line 6 PodFarm - it contains most of the sims that gearbox had, but they're better quality. Still won't be able to use it as a plug-in, though.

To be honest, I just recorded a track where I DI'd my shitty bass and added a reverb inpulse and it sounds better than any other bass I have recorded so I'm actually not that bothered now.

To be honest, I just recorded a track where I DI'd my shitty bass and added a reverb inpulse and it sounds better than any other bass I have recorded so I'm actually not that bothered now.

Haha, great to hear. I kinda do something similar. I run my bass through a minimalist bass patch in Amplitube and fatten it during the mixing process. IMO the pickups and attack matter more to a bass sound than speaker, amp, etc. Thanks for reminding me of this simple truth. :)

Back