basic music videos...

SEDstar

I decided to try using clips from movies to try to make a video "vehicle" to get people to listen to my music
pretty basic, but, i'm at the bottom of the learning curve.
step 1... have music
step 2... find a spot in a movie you can sort of play the music and it "goes" in any way with the action on screen
step 3... use A/V software to make the "video"

all music made with FL studio, older version + Edirol Orchestral
all A/V work done using "A/V linux... live"
Avidemux and CIN Cinelerra GG

"we don' need no steenking copyrights..."

but seriously, film and A/V students? are encouraged to take "found video" and make stuff out of it.
plus? I'm learning the basics of audio video editing.

I decided to try using clips from movies to try to make a video "vehicle" to get people to listen to my music
pretty basic, but, i'm at the bottom of the learning curve.
step 1... have music
step 2... find a spot in a movie you can sort of play the music and it "goes" in any way with the action on screen
step 3... use A/V software to make the "video"

all music made with FL studio, older version + Edirol Orchestral
all A/V work done using "A/V linux... live"
Avidemux and CIN Cinelerra GG

There's this new place on the internets to post videos called Youtube. It works really easy and doesn't require the audience to download anything to view...You should give it a try ..it's twitchin!

well never mind then. All the "approved" drop off sites? Require phone proving.
*shrugs*
I dont have a phone.
sorry, I didnt know I had to have a certain amount of disposable money to make music and learn about A/V work

You don’t have a phone?
Because you don’t want one? That I can respect (y)
Can’t afford one? Shit, in the US even homeless people got phones.

Sorry, I didnt know I had to have a certain amount of disposable money to make music and learn about A/V work
You can make make music by whistling and singing and that's free. You want to record that music and make a video that's gonna take some $$$...not a bunch but if you are literally at a poverty level where you can't afford a mobile phone, IMO I'd say your jumping the gun on your priorities. I would encourage you to put your energy at getting a job or jobs that will allow to own one. The gift of music is a blessing and not all get the gift. If you were blessed with it that's great but so are 100's of millions of others. The idea of making a living at is very alluring and exciting but it is rarely an easy go of it.

When I dinged you for not posting the links in a shareable place I was doing it for your good as well as the people reading your post. You want people to give you advice and opinion. By posting the way you did you reduced the amount of views and responses greatly.

Last edited:
I would start looking for open source videos. The one link I followed had a file LOTR.mp4 in it (did not download), but if it's using video from *the* LOTR you can be sure you won't get far trying to distribute that. Same with probably clip/snippet of video from commercially released movie, TV show sporting event, etc.

Channels for distributing video for others to see are YouTube and to some extent Vimeo. Many folks (like me) will be very hesitant to download a video file to watch on my personal device from a sketchy site/URL.

You an upload your video to YouTube by simply creating a Google/Gmail account. They'll do a quick copyright scan and let you know if you've got a problem pretty quickly.

Reactions: TAE
I would start looking for open source videos. The one link I followed had a file LOTR.mp4 in it (did not download), but if it's using video from *the* LOTR you can be sure you won't get far trying to distribute that. Same with probably clip/snippet of video from commercially released movie, TV show sporting event, etc.

Channels for distributing video for others to see are YouTube and to some extent Vimeo. Many folks (like me) will be very hesitant to download a video file to watch on my personal device from a sketchy site/URL.

You an upload your video to YouTube by simply creating a Google/Gmail account. They'll do a quick copyright scan and let you know if you've got a problem pretty quickly.
I was going to advise the same unfortunately Gmail requires a phone number these days to register and you pretty much need a phone number to get a youtube account. You were polite and clear in why he needs to get a YT account. If he is sincerely interested in getting out there he'll figure it out.

Last edited:
Those links return a forbidden 403 error? What are they?
I'm not getting the error ( probably some of your virus protection software). That said I'm not downloading files into my computer from a site I don't use, or from a forum user I really don't know.

1672413768545.png

Cheers for that - maybe it's also blockd from the UK?
whatever you think personally about copyright - its with us and a pain. with music creation now, the big players are the only method of exposure that is functional - and they take copyright seriously, so a music video that cannot be put on facespace or twinker just won't fly! People tring magnification, shrinking, flips and turns and resolution changes but somehow they get detected. A video that starts to grow then gets removed worldwide from every popular platform is worse than one that never takes off at all.

well, never mind then.

when I said I wanted to "get people to listen to my music"?
I meant people online, like here, other musicians... I didn;t mean "getting noticed" and getting a record deal.
I was just trying to learn to create and edit with A/V software.

take any random friend IRL...
1) hey friend, will you listen to 7 minutes of classical? (typically wont)
2) hey friend... here's a video where they "break the line" in LOTR...(typically will)

it's not a big deal, dude.

Yep - I get that, but musicians will happily listen to music - they don't need video - especially video that has nothing to do with the music, apart from maybe a genre. Soundcloud is perfect for just audio files - the site you linked to I cannot even access so not that great for sharing? I do get the video edit thing though - but that's different again, and a proper sharing site with thumbnails and decent players makes it nicer to relate to. How about vimeo if you don't like facebook/YouTube? That is very popular with video folk - I use it a lot for business video stuff that I don't want that public? The copyright thing IS annoying, but it's sort of there to protect the originator. If you discovered somebody pulled off your audio file and used it to make themselves money, that would be really annoying, but if you used the video of somebody else, you've sort of done the same thing? I'd love to hear your music for video - but I can't?

Last edited:
Reactions: TAE
Back