Basic bus question

zoomoon

I have a really basic question about buses in Sonar.

When I send a track to a bus which has a reverb effect, it changes the pan of the track. My plan was to send a bunch of guitar tracks to the one reverb bus, cutting down on CPU, but if I have two tracks panned 100 L and 100 R, for example, the bus will pan them both to the center, changing the mix. What's more, I hear both the original and the bus playing, and that's not what I'm looking for. Is there any way to send the guitar tracks to a bus purely for effects purposes? Seems like this should be simple.

I'm relatively new to using buses, so any help is appreciated.

You need to switch the bus to stereo to maintain your track panning. I'm not a Sonar guy, so I can't tell you how to do this, but I'm sure you can find a tutorial online.

If I am understanding you correctly, you should be able to set the reverb plugin you have on the bus to 0% dry, meaning the only signal you hear coming out the bus is the actual reverb and not the original audio. Again, you might have to research how to do this online.

Sounds like the verb effect on the bus is not set 100% wet and it's sending the dry amount up the center.
Although.. if it were inserted on a track where you would use the verb mix control it shouldn't be messing with the track pan. In Sonar I'd just say check the force mono' button, but then I hear tell Cubase can't do 'stereo on a track maybe.. Do you get stereo verb on the track by the way?

You need to switch the bus to stereo to maintain your track panning. I'm not a Sonar guy, so I can't tell you how to do this, but I'm sure you can find a tutorial online.

If I am understanding you correctly, you should be able to set the reverb plugin you have on the bus to 0% dry, meaning the only signal you hear coming out the bus is the actual reverb and not the original audio. Again, you might have to research how to do this online.
Oooo.. I didn't even notice we were in the Sonar forum :)

You almost have it. Like guitarplayr82 said make sure the bus is stereo. Insert your verb and make it 100% wet (full reverb). Now, don't send the guitar ttrack to the reverb bus, you insert a "send" on the guitar track. As you increase the send level, you will get more reverb on the guitar sound.

Good catch on sending aux not the full tracks.. but even then the bus should honor the pans.

Back